RA wins national award for dedication

Brian Haver was a freshman RA at Taub Hall in the quadrangle when he was awarded for his work with other students living in the building. This coming year, he will continue his work as an RA at Moody Towers. | File Photo/The Daily Cougar

UH Resident Assistant Bryan Haver, who just completed his freshman year, was awarded the First Year Experience Award from the National Association of College and University Residence Halls at a conference in May.

Haver was the only student in the nation to be presented with the award, which is given to freshmen who contribute to the growth of their university’s residential community. He was representing the Southwest region of NACURH after winning the regional award in November.

“I feel extremely honored,” said Haver. “I was not only representing UH, I was representing the entire Southwest Affiliate of NACURH. Winning this award pushed me to influence new students to become more involved.”

Haver first became an involved resident through the UH Residence Halls Association.

“I became interested in being an RA when I found out how much living in a residence hall can impact a student,” he said. “When you live in a residence hall, you are more likely to make good grades, lifelong friends, and become involved.”

As an out-of-state student from North Carolina, Haver said he wanted to become involved as soon as possible. After being a RHA member for a semester, he applied for an officer position. In Spring 2011, he became an RA for Taub Hall in the Quadrangle.

“Being an RA allowed me to have a direct impact on students,” said Haver. “As a new student from North Carolina, it was extremely helpful to have someone I knew I could count on for anything, and I really liked the idea of being that person for future new students.”

In the next few years, Haver hopes that UH will put more emphasis on campus life. He wants UH to become more of a residential campus. RHA, he said, is instrumental to this process.

“I really want to make living on campus something that people love to be a part of,” he said. “I believe living on campus is vital to the college experience. As an RA, I try to make (students) connect with other people.”

For the 2011-2012 year, Haver will be an RA for the Moody Towers. Now a sophomore, he plans to stay involved for the rest of his time at UH, especially while working as an RA.

“I want (students’) time at UH to be the best time of their lives,” he said.