Staff Editorial

End of summer ushers in a semester of new issues

With journalism being a public service, The Daily Cougar’s most important priority is informing our readers about the happenings of the UH community. However, that is not strictly limited to campus events, football games or updates about Tier One.

With the summer semester coming to a close, there will soon be more problems to concern students, faculty and staff. We want to know how these issues directly affect you as a member of the UH community.

The reach of current and former UH students extends much further than just Houston or Texas. It extends across the world. There are plenty of stories to be told, and we admit we are not aware of all of them. If a UH student or professor is involved in a unique activity, it is our responsibility to let you know.

To keep our publication relevant, we need to report about the impact students and alumni are making in their respective fields. The contributions of architects, entrepreneurs, lawyers and musicians among the many subjects that warrant coverage in The Daily Cougar.

Unfortunately, all newsworthy events do not always receive a story. This is where you, the reader, can assist us. Tips, which can be submitted in email, over social networks or directly though The Daily Cougar’s website, are invaluable in getting us fresh ideas. If at first you do not succeed in gaining our attention, be persistent. A consistent effort to receive coverage is more noticeable than a single email or voice message.

We know that we are not perfect, and we do not try to say otherwise. However, we are always looking for new angles on campus issues and new stories to cover.

Working for a student newspaper is a constant education process for all those involved, and we learn the most when the public chimes in.

Hearing feedback from our readers guarantees our improvement. We welcome yours.

• "We know that we are not perfect"

And the Cougar moves into the lead for this year's Pulitzer for Understatement.

Here's a tip: end 'machine' journalism. How many of your writers and columnists can name a person they know in every college? How many of them know *anyone* outside of liberal arts? Hitting up the UH community for a favor is fine – but you're never going to see the forest for the trees if you're standing in the middle of the desert. STEM is where UH happens; and yet the vast majority of the articles on the DC are about Liberals Arts, Athletics and the Administration – three areas we dramatically underperform (as in lack of newsworthy events, not 'needs further promotion.')

There's no place like home. But if you never leave, no one will care about what you have to say.

• Just out of curiosity, what are examples of STEM things that the Daily Cougar could be reporting but isn't?

• I can't prove a negative and my guess is you know that; so let me ask you in response to prove your point: when was the last time the Cougar covered a STEM item (other than the administration handing them a press release announcing a new grant)?

• I'm saying "Do you know the last time the Cougar covered a non-procedural on STEM."

I have loads of article ideas, but much like getting an op-ed letter printed in the Cougar, it don't come free.

• OK. Third time's the charm. What are examples (possibly from other newspapers) of STEM things that the Daily Cougar could be reporting on but isn't? Is there an ideal article you have in mind that people other than yourself would agree is more interesting/newsworthy than the usual things they print?

• "We know that we are not perfect"

• "We know that we are not perfect"

• why do you just want to report on the impact students are having? why only positive UH stories? isn't that all that you do as it is?
    how about some watchdog journalism? how about you investigate what the school is doing and saying instead of just reporting it as fact?
    it's not your responsibility to inform us of Unique things being done by students, alumni, etc.
    it's the responsibility of the press to create an informed public and promote debate and discourse regarding things that really matter.
    telling us only positive things about what professors and students are doing isn't important. and UH News already does this.