Brick Squad returns bigger, stronger, better

One of head coach Kevin Sumlin’s goals since his arrival was to build a bigger offensive line for the Cougars.

Entering his fourth season, it appears that Cougars have done so, and given themselves depth and options on that front through recruiting top junior college players.

At the beginning of training camp, there were eight to 10 candidates auditioning to play major roles on the offensive line. Sumlin acknowledges that things can change between game one and the end of the season, but he likes how the Cougar’s line has shaped up.

“I think we’ve had some great competition,” Sumlin said.

“It’s hard to gauge where you are as a team this time of year. We can answer that a little bit better probably Saturday. I think obviously we’ve had more competition with more guys just looking at the depth chart there are some people who were playing last year who aren’t even in two deep.”

The line will return only two starters from last season — senior center Chris Thompson and junior tackle Jacolby Ashworth. Thompson, who started at guard for UH since his freshman season, will slide over to center this season. He will replace Jordan Shoemaker, who, like Thompson, was a starter since his redshirt freshman season.

While Thompson has not played the position for the Cougars, Sumlin feels that his skill and experience as a lineman will be vital on a line featuring three new starters.

“Moving Chris Thompson to center has helped,” Sumlin said. “He’s our best offensive lineman and a preseason all-league pick. Him being a center to me becomes important.

“I had a question early, ‘Are you concerned about your whole right side being new?’ I’d be more concerned about the center being inexperienced because our center gets targeted and is really the guy who sets the tempo, gets to the ball. He lets us know what the calls are and lets us know what’s going on. An experienced player there really, really helps.”

That brand new right side will feature sophomore Kevin Forsch at guard and freshman Rowdy Harper at tackle.

“Kevin Forsch was a backup center,” Sumlin said. “But we moved him and gave him some shots at guard and actually he’s playing very, very well. He’s moving well, smart and has the flexibility to play center and guard.

“Rowdy Harper is going to start at right tackle, backed up by Ralph Oragwu. Both of those guys have had not a lot of game experience.”

The last of the new starting linemen is sophomore Ty Cloud, who will flank Thompson at left guard.

The three new starters represent Sumlin’s desire for a larger line. Harper stands 6’6 and weighs 285 pounds, while Cloud is 6’4, 315 pounds and Forsch measures 6’5, 301 pounds.

Over his tenure with the Cougars, Sumlin has never been shy about playing inexperienced players whom he felt were talented enough to contribute. This year’s edition of the Brick Squad is no different, and he feels confident about its abilities.

“I’m pleased with where we are in our offensive line,” Sumlin said. “It will be interesting Saturday. We’ve got three new guys there, but that’s college football. You’re never going to have 22 returning guys and if you do it’s a pretty good team — I’ve never been on one of those.

“But those three guys, what they lack in experience they have made up for in an increase in size and strength. We’re bigger than we’ve been, probably not as experienced, but because of our size and strength, I think those guys have a chance — and they’re going to be doing nothing but getting better and better.”