Defense gets another chance in Denton

Senior linebacker Marcus McGraw and is one of the returning linebackers on a defensive unit that features six new players in its starting lineup. McGraw recorded a game-high 16 tackles in the Cougars 38-34 victory. | Rebekah Stearns/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars’ defense is trying to shed its “bend, but don’t break” image.

“I don’t think we’re where we need to be,” head coach Kevin Sumlin said.

“There were some spots where we played pretty good. There were some spots where we weren’t any good.”

There were individual plays where the defense looked strong — sometimes consecutive plays — but many times it took a penalty, fumble or a bad snap to help the Cougars string those plays into stops.

“Do we need to get better? Heck yeah we need to get better,” Sumlin said.

And the Cougars most likely will get better.

Sumlin said that he was impressed with the Cougars’ ability to wrap ball carriers and their lack of missed tackles.

Senior linebackers Marcus McGraw and Sammy Brown were all over the field.

McGraw finished with 16 tackles, and Brown recorded 3.5 tackles for a loss.

Junior cornerback D.J. Hayden and sophomore safety Colton Valencia were also impressive in their first starts. Hayden contributed four tackles and a deflected pass and Valencia chipped in with 10 tackles.

The Cougars’ conundrum seems to stem more from inexperience with the defensive system than a lack of talent.

Six Cougars made their first collegiate starts on defense against the Bruins.

Four of those were transfers (Hayden, Valencia, Chevy Bennett and Dominic Smith), one a true freshman (Derrick Mathews), and the other, Zach McMillian, did not play a down last season as a freshman.

The remedy to the Cougars’ problems is practice and time.

“I think we’re getting there slowly, but surely,” McGraw said.

Sims status uncertain

Sumlin would not give an update on the status of junior running back Charles Sims for Saturday’s matchup with North Texas.

The Cougars would be smart to handle Sims’ situation prudently.

They have plenty of depth at running back and should handle whatever the Mean Green throw their way.

Junior Braxton Welford and freshman Daniel Spencer would be next in line to see time if Sims was not in the lineup.

“Daniel Spencer is a great athlete, for a freshman especially,” senior running back Bryce Beall said.

“He came right in and open a lot of people’s eyes. He’s talented and he can do a lot of things. If he comes in, we expect big things out of him.

“Same thing with Braxton. Braxton has been here for a little while. He knows the offense. He has great potential. It’s not a question of if he can do it. If he goes out and proves it to coach, I feel he’ll be a great asset to our team.”

Last season was Welford’s first with UH after transferring from San Diego Mesa College.

Going home

The Cougars are the first opponents to challenge the Mean Green at their new home, Apogee Stadium.

“We’re going to be the first game there and we’re going to get a chance to be the first to put up a lot of numbers at their stadium,” Beall said.

“Hopefully we can put up a number there that won’t be touched. We’ll be the first game there, so we’ll be setting records instantly.

“We’re known to be a bigger school — I guess that’s how they look at it. We just have to go out there and play our game and play UH football.”

For several Cougars, Saturday’s game in Denton will be a homecoming of sorts.

“We have five or six guys on the team from the Metroplex area that are starting or contributing,” Sumlin said.

“Chevy Bennett’s from there, Everett Daniels, Matt Hogan, Ty Cloud, Marcus McGraw. All of those guys are from around there who are starters or play significant minutes.”

Senior receiver Justin Johnson attended Berkner High School in Richardson.

“Anytime you get to play a game in general it’s exciting,” he said. “But to go back home and have a chance to play in front of your friends and family?

“I’ve had a few calls. I’m sure I’ll have a good amount of friends and family there.”

The new Apogee Stadium seats 31,000. The Cougars and Mean Green get underway at 6 p.m. Saturday.