UH heads north to battle Mean Green

Sophomore offensive guard Ty Cloud and the Cougars will look to start 2-0 for a third straight year against the Mean Green. UH is 5-7 all-time against UNT, but the two schools haven’t played since 1998. UH has won the last two meetings. | Newton Liu/The Daily Cougar

Even as the favorite for Saturday’s matchup against North Texas, the Cougars are not expecting a win to be a shoo-in.

“Just like we looked at UCLA,” senior running back Bryce Beall said. “I’m pretty sure they put us at the beginning of the year, wanting to play us, an in-state opponent, and I feel like they’re going to come out and play as hard as they can.

“We have to look at it the same way and match their intensity if not take it further and go out there and play well.”

For the Mean Green, this is their first year under head coach Dan McCarney and also their first game at their new home stadium, Apogee Field.

“They’re going to be well coached,” Sumlin said.

“The other thing that excited us was opening that new stadium, a brand new venue.”

Even after falling 41-16 to Florida International to open its season, Sumlin would not discount the challenge UNT might present.

“They played an FIU team that on tape people are selling short,” Sumlin said. “They’re conference champions and bowl champions last year. They have some pretty good players. They look pretty good to me.

“They’ll be excited to play. There’ll be a lot of pride and a lot of electricity. It’ll be a fun game for us.”