Transit gives Museum District, Houstonians reason to celebrate

Mayor Annise Parker unveiled the new METRORail car that will run through the Museum District. The railcar will begin operating on Sept. 17. | Wikimedia Commons

The Houston Museum District Association has partnered with the Houston Arts Alliance and the METRORail Arts in Transit Program to create a brand new “Houston Loves Museum” rail train dedicated to providing transportation for cosmopolitan Houstonians.

The “Houston Loves Museum” METRORail train debuted Tuesday with Mayor Annise Parker riding as a passenger for the first time.

Parker was accompanied on her train ride with President and CEO of METRO George Greanias, and Director of The Menil Collection and Chairman of the Houston Museum District Association, Joseph Helfenstein.

The specialized train is completely painted in bold blue and green colors and labeled to distinguish it from regular METRORail trains.

It will primarily be used to offer people a ride from one gallery to the next in the Houston Museum District.

The Greater Houston area has more than 150 museums and the Museum District is compromised of 18 museums, 11 of which are free to the general public.

“We’ve blessed the city of Houston with a wealth of museums that span from fine arts to natural science to areas of particular interests that we do a great job of giving an in-depth look at,” Parker said. “This is a great opportunity for families to decide that they want to experience the museums and METRORail — it’s convenient, it’s easy.”

Many of these museums are common destinations for elementary school children on field trips, but college students are encouraged to come out and rediscover the arts and culture beginning with the special new train that METRORail is now running.

The “Houston Loves Museums” train is slated to start running just in time for the city’s 15th annual Museum District Day, which is Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Houstonians will be able explore and travel between the 17 participating museums in the district for free the entire day and immerse themselves in new discoveries and rich history.

The 15th annual Museum District Day will offer guided tours, interactive activities and special workshops, depending on which museums guests choose to visit throughout the day. Refreshments will be available while supplies last.

“We urged you to find a spot along the rail line and take the train to museums,” Greanias said. “It’s the way to enjoy the museums, release some tension and focus on the arts, crafts and culture that’s available in our city.”