Staff Editorial

Good fan support in Ruston; more necessary

The Cougars managed to pull off a wild win against Louisiana Tech on Saturday in Ruston, La. The internet stream on ESPN3.com might not have been reliable for everyone, but it is a game that will not be forgotten anytime soon.

As he has done many times before, quarterback Case Keenum led a successful charge that resulted in a miraculous UH victory. This time it was the biggest comeback ever for the Cougars, bouncing back after being down by 27 points.

Most UH fans in attendance were alumni, with some students scattered in the mix. For being a drive of more than 300 miles, Cougar Nation had an encouraging showing — a sign that UH has a healthy base of loyal supporters to build on.

After the win, UH players excitedly rushed over to the northeastern part of the stadium to give their thanks to the group who made the trip. A hoarse head coach Kevin Sumlin was most appreciative after the game.

“Our fans who travelled to Ruston were great,” Sumlin said.

“They were loud, I can’t tell you how much we appreciated the number of fans. That whole section was going crazy and cheering. That’s why those guys ran over there at the end of the game. We notice that, we acknowledge that and it’s a big deal. I think it helped us down the stretch.”

It was a nail-biter. But with unselfish play, the Cougars overcame adversity in an environment that was more than hostile.

It’s almost been three weeks since the Cougars opened the season at Robertson Stadium. It was an afternoon game and the weather was hot, yet there was an announced attendance of 31,144.

The attendance record at Robertson is 32,119; The Daily Cougar will continue to pester fans until the record is 32,120 or higher.

Weather cannot be used as an excuse to miss Saturday’s game against Georgia State.

Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. The team made history against Louisiana Tech — now it’s time for the fans to do the same.