New UC to cause fee increase

The University will be increasing the University Center fee from $85 to $135 per semester in the fall of 2012 in order to pay for planned renovations to the University Center under the University Center Transformation Project.

The renovations are expected to cost about $80 million, $77.5 million of which will come from student fees over the next 25 years, said Cameron McHugh, the Student Government Association’s administration and finance committee chair.

Improvements include extra space for retail and student organizations, a complete refit of the heating and ventilation systems, and a 24 hour student lounge, McHugh said.

“If we have a good UC, it brings attention to the school. Students feel more comfortable; they’re more likely to hang out there with their friends and participate in campus activities,” McHugh said. There will also be a few changes to the University Center dining.

“They’re going to get rid of Chili’s, because nobody goes there; it’s a waste of money anyway,” said McHugh. “So they’re going to put something in there that actually generates revenue.”

Rather than demolishing the current University Center and building a new one, the renovations will be done in phases, so the University Center is never completely closed to students.

“It’s going to take slightly longer to do it this way, but we’ll have a UC (throughout the construction),” McHugh said.

The majority of students are in favor of a gradual increase in fees in exchange for better UC facilities, according to a survey taken in November 2008.

“A lot of people have said that they would prefer a new UC; (the old one) is outdated, they believe. A lot of people have seen other campuses in Texas and what their university centers are like. So our people are in favor of getting a new student center, because it’s a center for student involvement on campus,” McHugh said.

The bill to increase fees has been presented in previous years, but was passed last summer in order to “possibly lock in on a better deal” with relatively low interest rates, said McHugh.

This is the second time that the University Center fee will be increased in two years.

The fee was given a $50 boost from $35 to $85 in 2010, but there aren’t any plans yet to increase the fee again, said McHugh.

“I think the $50 increase should cover (all of the improvements),” McHugh said.

Construction is expected to begin in 2012 and be completed in 2015.

• It would've been great if the Administration had considered moving the University CENTER to the CENTER of campus, instead of in the boonies. It's probably very important to have the physical plant expand into the middle of campus.

I'm not sure any amount of remodeling can redeem that structure, but I do commend UH students for supporting future Cougars by 'donating' SAF money that could otherwise be spent on themselves. (This sounds backhanded, but isn't – let's just be clear about what's happening here; Administration can't motivate alumni and external sponsors to pay for the new UC, so current students are – I hope the Administration doesn't forget their generosity when they are reaping the rewards of this investment 10 years from now).

And what is so irreplaceable about the UC that we can't wreck it? What about all that empty space in SERC or the Fleming Addition? Let's 'temporarily' put it out there, wreck the Eyesority Center, and then build something worthwhile.

It's never too late to do a project like this right. A new UC is a great thing. A new UC built on top of the old UC is a bad take on that good idea. If it's something I'm not going to be able to use anyways, I'd just as soon you build a good one instead of putting lipstick on a pig (and a particularly unsightly pig at that) – because ultimately we will be back where we started: 20 years from now, Dr. Khator's successor will come to me and ask for $500 to support construction of a new UC to replace the replacement because it wasn't done right the first time.

TL;DR: Move the UC to the science complex. The stadium is there, most of the parking is there, most of the classrooms are there (sorry Bauer, if you can afford to have two brand new buildings and a Starbucks you can afford your own mini-UC).

• Plenty of people use it, regardless if you don't find yourself using it. Very often during the day, it's jam-packed, and the lines are long and it can be hard to find a free table. People obviously visit, hence why they're trying to renovate and expand it. Also, why wreck it? It still works as a building. It's already been paid for. You can be surprised at how remodeling jobs can transform a building and turn out cheaper. Even if not used as a UC, it still serves a purpose as an intact buliding.

The library is also pretty much the geographic center on the map, and the UC is next to it. If you actually looked at a UH map, it's not in the 'boonies' as you claim. Being in the boonies would be the Rec. SERC or Fleming isn't exactly central to the campus either, plus they weren't designed to handle restaurants it seems. You're also forgetting the UC Sat. serving a similar purpose. It mostly seems you want a new UC to fit your convenience, than to walk your way to the UC like many other students do.

• >Plenty of people use it, regardless if you don't find yourself using it.

Plenty of people use it to *eat* – there are many spaces that can serve a food service purpose, up to an including an outdoor area in the grass with picnic tables.

> Very often during the day, it's jam-packed, and the lines are long and it can be hard to find a free table. People obviously visit, hence why they're trying to renovate and expand it.

I don't grant that putting a feeding trough on the far southeast side of campus is a productive use; but you'll note that my plan (build it on the side of campus where the people are) doesn't preclude leaving it open. So not only do we get a new UC, but we keep the old one until such time as it can be blown up.

> Also, why wreck it?

For the same reason I'm trying to lose 10 pounds. Because it's an eyesore. If I want to get the hot girls (ie 'excellent students') I need to look my best. Having the 'center' of the University look like a high school built in 1962 does not show a good face.

There's also an argument to be made that students don't have a very good perception of themselves or the school when they are forced to make use of facilities as unattractive as most of UH's are. Understand I'm not here to cricize UH; I'm a proud student and love my school (and my Cougars). That doesn't mean we can't be frank with one another about our weaknesses. Glossing over them makes up both ignorant and weak.

>It's already been paid for.

So will the new UC; or did you miss the title of the article.

>You can be surprised at how remodeling jobs can transform a building and turn out cheaper. Even if not used as a UC, it still serves a purpose as an intact buliding.

That's a good point. Why spend money on aesthetics at all? Let's convert the Engineerying Y building to the new UC.

>The library is also pretty much the geographic center on the map, and the UC is next to it.

I'm not interested in geography, I'm interested in people. UH has a great 'geographic' campus. It has an incompetent campus if you're trying to get around on foot, or build a community on campus.

>Being in the boonies would be the Rec. SERC or Fleming isn't exactly central to the campus either,

The "center" is the space between SR1 and AH (or Old Science and Fleming); or perhaps closer to the main building where the fountains are. Either way, this space is largely consumed. Being near to that is the next best thing. It is pretty self-explanatory that you can't tear down a classroom building to build the new UC.

>You're also forgetting the UC Sat. serving a similar purpose.

For about 3 hours a day. Then it closes and you have no choice but to walk a mile in the wrong direction.

>It mostly seems you want a new UC to fit your convenience, than to walk your way to the UC like many other students do.

I live on campus about a stone's throw from the UC, so I don't think that your completely unsupported assertion of bias is either appropriate or accurate. If you want to say I am deceiving people for my own benefit with zero evidence, by all means (despite the fact that my entire post is predicated on the idea that I *WON'T* be able to take advantage of the new UC regardless of the plan followed). There's basically zero libel enforcement anymore, so you're covered.

Point being: The UC being where it is now is probably the best setup possible for me. I want it moved to benefit *future* students; you want it to stay where it is because you think a) it looks great b) it's convenient to the 'center' of campus (aka what I'm assuming for you is Melcher Hall) c) it's less invasive to close down big swaths of the union and delay renovations rather than simply build a new building elsewhere and close this one when it's done.

That makes sense.

• The UC isn't just a place to *eat*. The UC Underground holds student offices, meeting rooms, bookstore pick-up, printing services, and more.

Can you please look at a good map of UH? For someone that doesn't care about geography, why bother screaming CENTRAL in your first post? Far southeast would be something like Bayou Oaks or College of Optometry. UC is maybe a bit east of the central of campus, which you could pinpoint on the map as Butler Plaza or E. Cullen building. Believe it or not, there are people there that use it.

Maybe you didn't notice, but this article is about a remodel, thus it's appearance should change. Whether you think it's unattractive or not, doesn't matter. "It's paid for" in the case you suggested building an entirely new building, and they're not rebuilding; they're remodeling. The building layout works fine, just needs touch up.

• >Maybe you didn't notice, but this article is about a remodel, thus it's appearance should change.

Remodeling generally *doesn't* change the exterior appearance; oftentimes no *major* changes to the interior. Example: every renovation completed on campus.

>Whether you think it's unattractive or not, doesn't matter.

Yes, it does. Our competition is Texas Tech (gorgeous campus) UTSA (generally crappy but they're improving), UTA (haven't seen it) and UTEP (gorgeous campus). We're competing with these schools for students that don't choose to go to A&M or UT – we want the *best* out of that group – meaning that we have to offer the best package. If our facilities outwardly appear shoddy, UH in the crime riddled Third Ward is a much harder sell.

I'm honestly shocked to see you state this, as it flies in the face of remodeling the UC at all.

>The building layout works fine, just needs touch up.

No, it doesn't. As you yourself noted, the dining space needs to be completely rethought (not enough of it), the central courtyard is totally inappropriate due to the existence of the ridiculous roof that destroys airflow and traps in ambient noise, making it a useless space for anything but damaging your hearing.

• UC Sat could possibly extend its hours. I live on campus not too far from either spot, but you keep indicating that the place where the students are is completely on the west side, even though there's a pretty fair dispersion of students throughout campus. Parking garage on the east side is pretty big too, residential dorms and the Lofts are closer, many employees around there, and so on. .

Point is: People use and like the UC where its situated, it's close to the "CENTER of campus" your first post emphasized so much, and it's cheaper and works just fine renovating than building a whole new one.

• So they use a survey from 2008 to prove that the majority of student's want it to happen. UH Politicians and senators, how about you listen to your constituents and take a relevant up to date survey before passing such a garbage plan, I'm sure if you asked students today they would reject the plan. I also fail to see how a new facility will improve the quality of our education or why I should pay for something that I won't be here to use.

• Same reason there was a rec built, and the same reason there are new buildings being constructed. It isn't for the students now (though we may see the benefits) but for future students. Why renovate anything if we won't be able to use it?

If this was the mentality we used to determine anything, nothing would be here or accomplished.

• I would totally be on board if the economy wasn't in the shitter. We have tons of projects going on already, we really don't need the upgrade just this second. If we don't stop funding all these money sucking projects, UH will never be a REAL tier 1 institution. Our school has to keep accepting lower quality students to keep enrollment up so that the school actually has funding to RUN.

• Robert, the proponents of the fee increase even admitted to me that they do not think that a majority of students would support it today, which is one reason why I suspect they wanted to avoid a new poll at all costs.

• Moreover, where do the school's priorities lie? Is UH more concerned with spending more funds at the expense of already broke existing students to promote "friends hanging out with their friends to make more friends" or having us actually LEARN something???

• Not sure if this is lazy reporting or a lazy SGA senator (perhaps both), but a big part of the plans and a reason the renovations are able to go in stages, is the addition of an entirely new building that will be used as swing space.
    http://www.uh.edu/thenewuc/floorplans/uc_floor_pl

As for Mike's comments, the UC is supposed to be the University's living room. If we demolished and rebuilt, we wouldn't have access to that for at least 5 years. Think about that for a second – restaurants, bookstores, student organization meeting space, even something as simple as a place to grab a cup of coffee – all gone or in some psuedo-temporary setting. No one really wants that.

• >If we demolished and rebuilt, we wouldn't have access to that for at least 5 years

Why would we demolish the current one if we were building at a new site?

> Think about that for a second – restaurants, bookstores, student organization meeting space, even something as simple as a place to grab a cup of coffee – all gone or in some psuedo-temporary setting. No one really wants that.

B&N and the Starbucks knockoff are denied an opportunity to rip me off? Yes, that would be a crime.

• If I recall correctly the original plan was ~$100 million, now it's $80 million. Besides the interest rates, what has changed in the plan?

• One of these days … only rich white trust fund kids will be the only ones that have enough money to go to school.
    .
    How come no one ever complains of the cost of higher education?

• I have an idea! Why not make an attempt to use students' fees (mine included) to renovate/upgrade the classrooms and other venues that EXISTING students already use and NEED for a better EDUCATION and overall college experience? So far, as a 3rd-year student, 90% of all the classrooms I've taken classes in remind me of the low-budget grade school I attended, with desks more befitting a 12 year old. Can UH for once focus on the students she already has as opposed to using our $$$ to attract new prospects??? Just a thought.

• Off in the boonies? Really? Since the rec center is even further east does that make it in the boonied. What about Cougar Den bar or tyhe huge optometry complex or The gorgeous Calhon Lofts which is further away. What about the campus library located very near the UC center or the UH Hilton Hotel?
    Seriously get a clue and stop being such a whiner. This is great for the University and the plans, which the complainers I am sure have not looked at, look unbelievable. On top of all the other recent improvements this will be yet another showcase for the University. What a great time to be going to UoH!

• This is a waste of money. All of these upgrades will do nothing to mask the fact that UH is a disorganized and ugly campus. What campus builds a brand new condo-like dorm right next to a dilapidated building which looks like its about to fall down (and is an eye sore)?

Nothing can be done to hide the fact that UH is located next to a ghetto which is rampant with crime and posses a risk for students who live on the off-campus apartments and often walk to school (since the bus system is never on time and most of them either pick and drop students off from Robertson Stadium).