Letters to the Editor

UH alumnus receives Texas business honor

Houston is Cougar proud! Welcome Wilson Sr., class of ’49, joined an elite few as one of five inductees into the prestigious Texas Business Hall of Fame. Wilson received the honor Nov. 17, as more than 1,000 well-wishers looked on at the Hilton Anatole Hotel in Dallas, Texas.

I was glad to have witnessed the elegant event that recognized members of the state’s business community whose visions and careers have helped place Texas at the forefront of the 21st century economy.

It was the great Babe Ruth who uttered, “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.”

That mindset has obviously been core to the success of the inductees which also includes Barry G. Andrews, Colleen Barrett, Lee Roy Mitchell and Ross Perot, Jr., of Dallas. Wilson was the only Houstonian.

Wilson, a successful businessman, devoted alumnus and former UH Regent, has been instrumental in achieving UH’s Carnegie-designated Tier One status. Wilson also served as Chairman of the UH Board of Regents for three years.

Wilson joins the company of former President George H.W. Bush and UH alum and regent, Tilman J. Fertitta – all past inductees of the Texas Business Hall of Fame.

Congratulations, Welcome Wilson Sr.! We are Cougar proud!

— Rose Rougeau

Life Member, UH Alumni Association,

Graduate Student/HRD/College of Technology

• Congrats to you Welcome…. from an OLD class mate and former Sigma Alpha Chi, Crow's Nest Saloon, member, Buster Barlow. I recently retired from owning and running an art and frame gallery here in Tyler for 35 years, and have kept up with the Cougars all these years. I went to homecoming three years ago, and was overwhelmed at all the buildings… could barely find the one I took most of my BBA classes in.. unreal. If you get up this way, let me know… [email protected]