Administration

Khator, others speak at MLK discussion

UH President Renu Khator compared Martin Luther King Jr. to Gandhi in the discussion Tuesday. | Brianna Leigh Morrison/The Daily Cougar

Representatives of different religious organizations and administrators from several University departments celebrated Martin Luther King Jr.’s message at the University Center’s Houston Room on Tuesday.

The representatives stressed how significant of a role faith and the equality of men played in King’s life.

“Martin King was man of great faith,” Rev. Victor Thomas of St. James Episcopal Church said. “He not only inspired African Americans, but people of all groups to come together under God’s message.”

Rabbi Kenny Weiss, executive director of Houston Hillel, spoke about how the Jewish community related with the African American community, pointing out that both had endured discrimination.

“Regardless of how we understand suffering, Jews always nod their head in agreement when hearing the words ‘Dr. King said,’” he said. “

President Renu Khator addressed the gathering by talking about how the British gave her native country of India independence after 100 years of colonization. Khator said Mahatma Gandhi’s work in India during these times was a source of inspiration for King.

“Today we celebrate the life of Dr. King, a disciple of Gandhi, who led the nation out of great despair. A person of vision, a person of hope, but most importantly a person of courage,”  Khator said.

With UH being the second-most diverse university in the nation, the year would not be complete without the commemoration of King’s life and his message, said junior Ebony Wallace.

“I think it’s important that we celebrate the diversity that Dr. King brings us and how it affects everyone,” Wallace said. “It’s important that we continue this so everyone feels welcome on this campus.”

Student Government President Michael Harding has attended the event every year and said each year gets better.

“Our student body is a symbol of what this school stands for — community amongst diversity. I feel coming to this school is like going to the school of the United Nations,” Harding said.

According to a study by US News & World report, UH has one of the most diverse campuses in the United States based on the University’s 2010 to 2011 student body, second only to Rutgers, the state university of New Jersey.