Theater

Weekend: Moores opens two operas

Moores Opera House is kicking off the second half of its season by presenting two operas this weekend for its American Opera Festival.

“Tartuffe,” an opera based on the play by Molière and with music and libretto by Kirke Mecham, takes piety to task by focusing on the hypocrisy and greed that sometimes lurks behind it.

The Moores production of this opera, which has been produced more than 100 times worldwide, is set in Monaco during the 1920s. The performance is in English with English surtitles.

For more on this opera, visit www.music.uh.edu/opera/currentseason_showdetails_tartuffe.asp.

The opera “Amelia” is based on a story by Stephen Wadsworth, with music by Daron Hagen and libretto by Gardner McFall.

The story follows a woman dealing with the very significant issues of her father’s death, the dream of flight and the hope of rebirth. As the press release states, “Anyone who has ever loved a parent, a spouse, or a child will not fail to be moved” by the opera.

The Moores production of “Amelia,” which received a grant from The Cullen Trust for the Performing Arts, is only its second production.

For more on this opera, visit www.music.uh.edu/opera/currentseason_showdetails_amelia.asp.

The house will feature the operas over the course of five days — beginning with “Tartuffe” tonight at 7:30 p.m. Performances follow at 8 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

“Amelia” premiers at 7:30 p.m. Friday with performances continuing at 2 p.m. Sunday and 7:30 p.m. Monday.

Free preview lectures will begin 45 minutes before each performance. The composer and librettist will be present for the weekend performances.

For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.music.uh.edu/opera/.