Tennis

Cougars come up short

Sneior Giorgia Pozzan earned victories in both singles and doubles play in UH’s 4-3 loss to Colorado on Saturday.  |  Catherine Lara/The Daily Cougar

Sneior Giorgia Pozzan earned victories in both singles and doubles play in UH’s 4-3 loss to Colorado on Saturday. | Catherine Lara/The Daily Cougar

The quest to earn a national ranking continued for the Cougars on Saturday against Colorado.

Coming off a loss to No. 6 Baylor last weekend, UH (0-2) looked to further make a statement, but fell in a 4-3 decision to the Buffaloes (2-2).

Things looked good early for the Cougars as they won the opening doubles round but unforced errors during the singles round would prove costly in the end.

“Anytime you lose 4-3 it’s going to be disappointing,” Head Coach John Severance said. “The fact that we blew so many opportunities and made unforced errors is going to haunt us. That was the deciding factor today.

“I made it clear to the team that they (Colorado) weren’t going to roll over and give it up. We have to capitalize on our overall-good play and can’t win when we commit so many errors.”

During the opening doubles round Charlotte Phillips and Maja Kazimieruk took their bout with an 8-3 decision while Giorgia Pozzan and Bryony Hunter won their match 8-6 to give UH an early lead.

During the singles round, freshman Liselot Koenen continued her strong play as she dominated her match 6-0, 6-2 to move to 2-0 in singles play this spring.

Senior Giorgia Pozzan also added another victory to her singles’ resume with a 6-3, 7-5 rout of CU’s Erin Sanders.