Tennis

Clean sweep for UH tennis

The Cougars had to bring their match indoors due to Friday’s downpour, but managed to steam roll McNeese State in a 7-0 contest earning their first win of the spring season.

“I’m very pleased with the win today,” Head Coach John Severance said. “We were the more disciplined team and that’s how we have to play from here on out.

“Everyone had great attention spans and were very focused today.”

Senior Giorgia Pozzan and freshman Liselot Koenen continued their winning ways with Pozzan taking her match 6-1, 6-0 and Koenen winning 6-0, 6-3 to both stay undefeated this spring at 3-0.

“We didn’t commit the mistakes that we have in the past,” Severance said. “We have to continue to play this way against out tougher opponents.”

In doubles play, where Severance wanted see improvement, UH swept the Cowgirls, winning all three matches with senior Laura Ring playing her first match since the 2009-10 season.

One player that Severance spoke highly of in the fall was freshmen Charlotte Phillips of Nottinghamshire, England. Phillips picked up her first win of the spring against the Cowgirls (6-2, 6-2).

“Charlotte has a lot of talent and potential, and if she keeps improving she’ll be winning weekly,” Severance said.

Phillips decision to come to UH was an easy one.

“I loved the Houston atmosphere and felt at it was the best school for me academically,” she said.

“And the weather is good compared to England’s.”

Phillips’ goal, like the rest of the Cougars, is to achieve a national ranking.

“I just want to keep improving and help the team win, which will get us nationally ranked.

“I think I can help the team win and, by being left-handed, bring something different to the team.”

The Cougars hope to continue their strong play with a pair of home-weekend matches. They will take on Northwestern State at 10 a.m. Saturday and UTSA at noon Sunday at the John E. Hoff Tennis Courts.

“Northwestern and UTSA are two very good programs,” Severance said. “We’ll have to keep playing like we did this past weekend — focused with no errors.”