Staff Editorial

Show Cougar pride by wearing school colors

Tomorrow is Friday. What are you going to wear? If you are a proud Cougar your answer should be “red.” Cougar Red Friday is a fairly new tradition to hit the University, but that doesn’t mean it should be overlooked. Unlike many top universities, UH has very few traditions. As we continue our ascent to the top, we should make sure that we present a unified image to the nation.

If UH students can’t do something as simple as wearing red once a week, how will we show to the nation that we are proud of our University?

Wearing red one day a week is just about the simplest thing one can do to display their school spirit. All you have to do is wake up, get ready for school and put on your school colors.

Even if you did spend your first two years at Texas A&M or Texas State University, being at UH means encompassing Cougar pride in all you do.

Besides, now is the time that comraderie matters the most. With our spot in the national limelight and our imminent move to the Big East, it’s important for for us all to display our school spirit as we continue to build on the momentum of the success of past semesters.

You are the pride of this University. Regardless of the fact that we’re a primarily commuter campus, we should at least make the effort to show that we are united in spirit.

That’s the only way we’ll continue in our efforts to becoming a Tier One student body.

President and Chancellor Renu Khator embodies the spirit of Cougar Red Fridays every week of the semester.

It’s encouraging to know that our president has faith enough in our University to wear scarlet red every day and there’s no reason that we shouldn’t follow in her footsteps.

When you wake up tomorrow, remember who you are, Coogs. We’re all here with the same goals and we should feel proud to represent the University that brought us all together.

• I never understood why Friday was chosen as the Cougar Pride day. Unless things have changed significantly since I was a student, there aren't many classes on Fridays and, as such, the campus is pretty empty. Wouldn't Thursday be a better choice?

• i hate that we limit our pride to just wearing red on friday when we could be having students tattoo their faces. tattoos are permanent so that's like free advertisement for life, well not free – you gotta give the coog some starbucks or something, and it's on the face which is a great spot for an ad.
    we could install a PA system and play the fight song over the speakers several times a day, and have a constant loop of Khator saying go coogs, tier one, diversity.
    we could have a UH blimp that flies around UH like a big banner and doubles as surveillance.
    we could have our own perfume line.
    we should start a UH Pride parade and go through Houston and we'll all wear read and be like yeahhhh we go to UH yeahhhh.
    the sky's the limit.