City

Coogs fight hunger through empty bowls

Lotus Bermudez shows Joseph Hernandez how to maneuver a pottery wheel during Tuesday’s Bowl-a-thon.  |  Emily Chambers/The Daily Cougar

Lotus Bermudez shows Joseph Hernandez how to maneuver a pottery wheel during Tuesday’s Bowl-a-thon. | Emily Chambers/The Daily Cougar

UH students sculpted bowls for the hungry Tuesday in the fourth annual UH Bowl-A-Thon.

The clay bowls, created by students and potters in the community, will be donated to Empty Bowls Houston, a grassroots effort by people across the country to feed the hungry in their communities. Empty Bowls Houston will sell the bowls with proceeds going to the Houston Food Bank to feed the hungry in the Greater Houston area.

“All the bowls we make today will be for the Empty Bowls Houston event that will be held in May,” said Lotus Bermudez, the clay processes instructor.

The clay processes class, who promoted and held the event as a course project, helped as assistants to others to create bowls and will be finishing the bowls made for the event in May, Bermudez said.

“That involves trimming, burnishing, glazing and firing,” said art junior Kyra Walker, describing the pottery process.

“I’m excited about it. This is the first time that one of my assignments for class has been to specifically volunteer time,” she said. “I’m really happy that (the class has) got me to do it because it’s so hard to find the time otherwise because of classes.”

The bowls will be sold with a small meal for $25 each with 100 percent of the proceeds will go to the Houston Food Bank, Bermudez said.

“Different schools and many people all over will be involved in making the bowls. They’re getting bowls that will not only be ceramic but other kinds artwork in shape of bowls,” Walker said. “I’m glad to be able to say I’m doing something that helps the community and a charity.”

The Empty Bowls Houston event will be held at the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft on May 26.