Tennis

Cougars take a split in Louisiana

The Cougars’ weekend split against Southeastern Louisiana and Tulane leaves them at 5-3 for the season. Senior Giorgia Pozzan has played a large role in their success. Pozzan has racked up seven singles wins and four wins in doubles contests.  |  Catherine Lara/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars’ weekend split against Southeastern Louisiana and Tulane leaves them at 5-3 for the season. Senior Giorgia Pozzan has played a large role in their success. Pozzan has racked up seven singles wins and four wins in doubles contests. | Catherine Lara/The Daily Cougar

UH’s five-match winning streak was snapped this weekend as it split a pair of matches.

The Cougars (5-3) played two away matches winning the first against Southeastern Louisiana, 7-0, and losing a heated contest against powerhouse Tulane, 5-2.

Head coach John Severance made clear his expectations for the team after the close battle with Tulane (9-1).

“From here on out we expect to win every match,” Severance said. “We have a chance to start another winning streak starting next week.”

The Cougar’s top doubles tandem of Giorgia Pozzan and Bryony Hunter started out with an 8-2 win to open play against Southeastern Lousiana (4-2), while the Liselot Koenen/Laura Ring combination clinched the doubles point for the Houston with an 8-3 win.

UH swept the singles event with Celia Fraser earning her fifth straight singles win 6-2, 6-1, while Maja Kazimieruk improved to 6-1 in singles play with a 6-2, 6-1 win.

“Today’s play was tough with windy conditions,” Severance said.

“We now have to focus on our first Conference USA match against Tulane tomorrow and we expect an extremely physical, mental and vocal match.”

Which is exactly what the Cougars got.

“I’m proud of the way we played, it was the closest and most emotional match we’ve played as a team,” Severance said of the 5-2 loss to Tulane.

“We came together and played our hearts out but didn’t come out with the result we wanted.”

The Cougars had lost the doubles event, but roared back in the singles event to almost pull out the upset. Pozzan and Bryony Hunter led the rally by winning their singles matches. Pozzan scored 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 which improved her record to 7-1 in singles play, while Hunter won her match 7-5, 3-6, 6-4.

But the rally fell just short as the Cougars eventually lost.

“We couldn’t finish off points in doubles play, but we were in four matches in singles against a team that’s going to be nationally ranked,” Severance said.

The Cougars are off this  weekend, but play their next match at the John E. Hoff Tennis Courts Mar. 7 against Prairie View A&M.

In the meantime, Severance said that the Cougars would continue to practice going into the match and he wants a rematch against the Cougars’ Conference USA rival.

“I hope to play Tulane again this season.”