Staff Editorial

Utah law enforces intolerant sex education

Scared Republicans across the nation have been passing a steady stream of laws that lessen the reproductive rights of women. Republicans in Utah have taken things a step further.

The Utah Senate passed a law Tuesday that will prevent public school children from gaining knowledge about sexuality and how to use contraceptives in their schools.

According to the text of the bill, “human sexuality instruction or instructional programs may not include instruction in, or the advocacy of…the intricacies of intercourse, sexual stimulation or erotic behavior; homosexuality; the use of contraceptive methods or devices; or sexual activity outside of marriage.”

We should not be surprised that Republicans are taking their fight against women and reproductive health to public schools. Children are impressionable and easier to indoctrinate than adults.

What is surprising about this piece of legislation, however, is the addition of homosexuality to the list of illegal discussion topics.

According to the text of the bill: “At no time may instruction be provided, including responses to spontaneous questions raised by students, regarding any means or methods that facilitate or encourage the violation of any state or federal criminal law by a minor or an adult.”

This means that if a Utah student asks a teacher a question about a prohibited topic  — like homosexuality — it is illegal for the teacher to answer the question.

Many gay teens are afraid to discuss their orientation with their parents because they are scared of losing their support. Gay students should be able to get advice and support from teachers and administrators at their schools.

We cannot erase homosexuality by making it an illegal discussion topic. Gay students will continue to go to school in Utah. If the suicide rate of gay teens increases in Utah, we will know who is to blame.

• Let me start off by saying that I disagree with this legislation and those like it. However, as a Christian, I hate being labeled as a bigot because The Bible teaches the homosexuality is a sin. This belief does not mean that all Christians hate gay people. I have many gay friends. I don't agree with their lifestyle just as I don't agree with people who cheat on their spouse. In my opinion, tolerance does not necessarily equal acceptance but it does equal love instead of hatred.

• Sex education shouldn't be left to one person. Parents have a responsibility to think for themselves and care for their children's mental and sexual health. Just because teachers have their hands tied doesn't mean somebody can't reach out.