Softball

Cougars slug Miners out of the park in three-game sweep

Sophomore catcher Haley Outon clubbed two home runs in the Cougars three-game sweep over UTEP. UH slugged six home runs for the series, outscoring UTEP 28-6. In their opening Conference USA series against Marshall, theCougars were held to just four runs. |  Hendrick Rosemond/The Daily Cougar

Sophomore catcher Haley Outon clubbed two home runs in the Cougars three-game sweep over UTEP. UH slugged six home runs for the series, outscoring UTEP 28-6. In their opening Conference USA series against Marshall, theCougars were held to just four runs. | Hendrick Rosemond/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars (15-13, 4-2) swept a three-game weekend series at Cougar Softball Stadium against the UTEP Miners.

The series began with two games on Saturday where the Cougars played nearly perfect.  They outscored the Miners 15-2 without committing an error.

The Cougars took the third game of the series 13-4, polishing off the Miners with an eight-run sixth inning.

The Cougars struggled in the first inning. Sophomore Bailey Watts gave up a hit and her defense committed two errors, but Watts got out of the inning unscathed, working out of a bases-loaded jam.

In the bottom of the inning the Cougars jumped on the Miners by scoring three runs, led by a two-run shot by senior leftfielder Melissa Gregson.

They kept the pressure on as they scored a run in the third and fourth inning each..

Sophomore catcher Haley Outon powered the Cougars’ offense through the series, smashing two home runs over the three games.

Watts earned two wins for UH, with Sunday’s being her fourth straight. She started the second game of the series and pitched all seven innings, giving up only four hits while striking out five. On Sunday she went the distance again, striking out five.

In the second game of the doubleheader, Diedre Outon got the start and pitched a complete game shutout for her fourth win of the season.

The offense did their part as well, as the Cougars belted three home runs, including a grand slam from Diedre’s sister and battery mate, Haley Outon.

UH slugged six home runs for the series.

In their series opening 10-0 win, UH got home runs from Holly Anderson, Gregson and Outon.

Gregson was a perfect 3-for-3 with two runs and two RBI in the series finale. For the weekend, Gregson 4-for-7 with five runs and five RBI.

The Cougars continue conference play against Memphis with a doubleheader on Saturday and the series finale on Sunday at Cougar Softball Stadium.