Campus

Former US ambassador to UN talks foreign policy

John Bolton was the United States ambassador to the United Nations.  |  Yulia Kutsenkova/The Daily Cougar

John Bolton was the United States ambassador to the United Nations. | Yulia Kutsenkova/The Daily Cougar

Former United States ambassador to the United Nations and diplomat, John Bolton, spoke to law students about the Obama administration’s failures at an international level.

The US has turned their attention away from international affairs and is focusing only on its internal situation, Bolton said.

“It is simply not possible to have sustained American prosperity at home unless we have a strong international presence,” Bolton said.

“Whatever stability there is in the world is essentially provided by the United States.”

Bolton said President Barack Obama doesn’t see the world as a “huge” threat.

The US has the lowest number of navy ships overseas since 1916 and the number is projected to decrease. Cuts will also be applied to the Air Force and Army while international threats are continuing to rise, Bolton said.

“The relations of the United States and Russia are exceptionally low,” Bolton said.

“In August 2008, Russia invaded Georgia. Candidate Obama said that both sides should exercise their strength — Georgia on one hand and Russia on the other.

“This didn’t sound comforting to the people of Georgia. Their army can probably fit in this room. This also signals to the Russians that presidential candidate Obama didn’t understand what worked.”

Bolton also said the Obama administration is not doing anything to stop North Korea.

“We know that they’re making enormous progress with their missiles. Communication satellites have been used to celebrate the hundredth anniversary,” Bolton said.

“Obviously, if you can put missiles in earth’s orbit, you can put it on any target on earth. They are certainly well on their way. It is the most heavily sanctioned country. What have we done about it? Nothing.”

The US relationship with Iran was also criticized.

“When you let missiles get in the hand of crazy, religious fanatics who don’t share the same values as we do here, it is something that needs to be concerned about,” Bolton said.

• A neoconservative sympathizer speaking about negatively about American foreign policy? Who would have guessed.

• Since Mr. Bolton is widely known to have a partisan point of view, I hope in the interest of "equal time" that someone supportive of the current administration's strategies will also be invited to make a presentation on campus.

• “When you let missiles get in the hand of crazy, religious fanatics who don’t share the same values as we do here, it is something that needs to be concerned about.” Is Bolton talking about Santorum?

And does Bolton not realize that our presence in foreign countries is apart of the cause for why these countries want to do us harm to us in the first place? And is Bolton not aware of the thousands of bases we have located around the world, and that the size of our military is more than half of the world’s armies combined never mind 53% of our government budget?

Bolton is such a great spokesman for unnecessary action and fear.

• Mr. Bolton must not be paying attention to what is going on in Washington. The Chief of Naval Operations has reallocated the Navy’s budget so that it can build more ships and aircraft. The Marine Corps is also spreading out to new bases to include Darwin Australia. He is right that the Army and Airforce are being cut, but manpower throughout the Department of Defense is as a whole.

The US has shifted its focus from International Affairs because 1) the US isn’t the world police and 2) you can’t expect to fix bigger problems if you can’t fix things on the home front first. If we aren’t economically sound, how can we expect to send our diplomats and military to intervene if we can’t afford it?

As for Iran, he must be in a bubble. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard countless times that the US and Israel are against Iran having nuclear weapons. As an Ambassador to the UN, he should know that policymaking is laterally difficult. A policy set for one country could have implications for many others. If we arrogantly attack Iran, we face ramifications from not only them, but also China and Russia. Syria and Afghanistan would also be affected. To we really want to be the reason for 1/5 of the world’s oil supply being halted? Saudi Arabia and Libya do not produce enough oil to supply the world. Will Americans be happy then? Who will the finger be pointed at? The President.

• By finger pointing to the President, I was referring to the rise of oil prices that would follow a strike on Iran.

• Part I: I wish I could have attended this event to comment on this statement when Mr. Bolton stated: “When you let missiles get in the hand of crazy, religious fanatics who don’t share the same values as we do here, it is something that needs to be concerned about.” Until U.S. leaders, like Mr. Bolton, can realize and accept that every country is unique and has its own dignity and values, U.S. foreign policies will always be ineffective. Why will one force someone to accept what others value if they don’t respect others? Why some Americans always want things to be the American way? This has been one of the major weaknesses of U.S. foreign policy maker from my point of view….policy makers lack the ability to understand and accept other country values.

• Part II: We can never change what Irainians values….just has other nations can never change what Americans value. Americans, for instance, value individualism while other nations value collectivism ….is that a problem? or are they crazy because they value family more than individualism?
    Also, Mr. Bolton needs to understand that U.S. alone cannot solve all of problems of the world. While blame one administration for what other past administrations have failed to implement? Though the Obama administrations have some weaknesses, we must congratulate her for some of the great things she has done…considering the many problems such as recessions, foreign war, etc. she met on board as a result of past administration actions.

• Per Sam's logic we should have never entered WWII and instead have offered understanding and sympathy to the Nazis.

Sam, time to wake up, there is such a thing as good and bad. For instance, killing gays is bad. Threatening other nations with genocide is bad. Committing genocide – as Muslims are doing in Sudan – is bad.

• Sounds like a shill with an agenda for military spending. Perhaps it's time people like him realize that sometimes Americans have no appetite for more war.

• John “Bomb em all” Bolton, up to his old tricks I see.

“When you let missiles get in the hand of crazy, religious fanatics” – yeah like Bolton himself, or George Dumbya Bush, or possibly that up-and-coming leader of the Republican lunatic wing Rick Santorum?

“This didn’t sound comforting to the people of Georgia. Their army can probably fit in this room.” Bolton the Idiot here doesn’t realize the Georgian armed forces consist of 57,000 active personnel and another 140,000 reserves.

Dignifying this idiot by allowing him to spread misinformation and racism on campus was an appalling decision by UH.