Baseball

UH offense MIA in Mississippi

Jordan Lewis was one of several UH pitchers who did not fare well against Southern Miss. UH surrendered 30 runs in three games to USM.  |  Catherine Lara/The Daily Cougar

Jordan Lewis was one of several UH pitchers who did not fare well against Southern Miss. UH surrendered 30 runs in three games to USM. | Catherine Lara/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars find themselves somewhere they didn’t want to be this early in the conference schedule- — at the bottom of the standings and looking up.

The Cougars got completely demolished in their first two Conference-USA games to Southern Miss. losing 8-0 and 17-2, respectively, before pulling out of their offensive funk to salvage the last game at 10-5.

The Cougars (10-12, 1-2 C-USA) managed to get 11 hits in the opening night shutout, but they were unable to string those hits together and produce any runs.

Friday’s starter, Jordan Lewis, had a rough outing, going 2 1/3 innings in which he gave up three hits and five runs, four earned.

UH’s relief corps managed to give up only one run after the third inning, but the offense couldn’t get a handle on the Golden Eagles’ pitching. Southern Miss starting pitcher Andrew Pierced went seven innings, allowing no runs, seven hits and struck out 15 UH batters.

Saturday was another game to forget for the Cougars. The Golden Eagles (14-10, 2-1 C-USA) used a 13-run fifth inning to power past the Cougars. The UH offense was once again inept and only managed to push across two runs in the contest.

Starter Codey Morehouse only lasted 3 1/3 innings, giving up three runs, two earned, and six hits.

The tides finally turned in the Cougars’ favor on Sunday as the offense rose from its slumber to save the last game of the series. The Cougars pounded out 10 runs on 17 hits and held the Golden Eagles’ offense in check.

Starting Pitcher Austin Pruitt regained his form and shut down the Golden Eagles. He pitched six-and-two-thirds innings, giving up three runs on four hits to go along with six strikeouts.