Softball

Cougars take twinbill against Texas State

Sisters Diedre (left) and Haley Outon each homered for the Cougars in their 4-3 win over Texas State. Haley leads UH with 11 home runs this season. | Joshua Siegel/The Daily Cougar

Twin sisters, Diedre and Haley Outon each delivered two-run home runs to defeat Texas State 4-3 in the first game of Wednesday’s doubleheader at Cougar Softball Stadium.

UH (22-15, 9-3 Conference USA) also won the second game 2-0 behind a shutout from pitcher Summer Groholski.

Diedre Outon started the first game and picked up her eighth win of the season.  She threw 4 1/3 innings, giving up two earned runs and five hits.

Diedre Outon helped herself with her first home run of the season in the second inning, putting UH ahead 2-1.

Haley Outon hit her 11th home run in the third inning to extend the lead to 4-1.

The Bobcats (22-12, 8-2 Southland Conference) made it close scoring two runs in the fifth.

Sophmore Bailey Watts came in relief and pitched the final 2 2/3 innings to earn her second save.

The second game of the doubleheader was a pitching duel.  Groholski out-performed the Bobcats junior starting pitcher Anne Marie Taylor.

The Cougars struggled to get their offense going against opposing left-handed Taylor.

Haley Outon drove in the first run of the game in the bottom of the first inning, scoring Holly Anderson.

Reina Gaber brought home Jennifer Klinkert on an RBI double in the second inning.

But that was all the run support Groholski needed. She gave up just two hits in her complete game shutout for her fourth win in just her sixth start of the year.

“I am proud that she was able to finish the game when she hasn’t pitched in a while,” head coach Kyla Holas said.

“She matched up better against them because they struggled a little bit more with the outside [pitch].”

The Cougars next game will be a doubleheader as they host Texas A&M Corpus Christi on April 10.

• I think this is one of the most significant information for me.

And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers