Softball

Cougars come up short against Tulsa

Summer Groholski led the Cougars to their only win of 5-2 over Tulsa on Saturday.  |  Hendrick Rosemond/The Daily Cougar

Summer Groholski led the Cougars to their only win of 5-2 over Tulsa on Saturday. | Hendrick Rosemond/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars failed to take control of the top spot in Conference USA this weekend, falling in two of three games to first-place Tulsa.

UH (27-18, 12-6) now finds itself two games back.

Houston fell 3-2 in the opener.  Bailey Watts received the loss despite giving up no earned runs in a complete game effort.

The Cougars started quickly, scoring in the top of the first inning.  Leadoff hitter Holly Anderson opened the game with a single.  She later stole a base and scored on Melissa Gregson’s hit to center field.

But in the third inning, Kendra Cullum’s error aided the Hurricane’s three-run inning, which ultimately was the difference in the game.

Haley Outon’s 13th home run of the season in the fourth inning started a comeback, but the Cougars stranded two runners to end the threat.

UH managed to take game two behind freshman pitcher Summer Groholski.  She earned her first conference win to extend her record to 6-4.  She pitched seven strong innings and gave up no earned runs while striking out three.

The four-run third inning pushed the Cougars to a 5-2 victory of the Hurricanes.  UH hit two home runs in the game.  Freshman Jamie Edwards knocked in the first run with her solo homerun in the second inning and Outon hit a two-run homer in the third.

The Cougars’ sloppy play in the rubber game of the series was too much to overcome as they lost 5-3 to Tulsa.

UH stranded eight runners and committed three errors in the game.

Anderson was the top performer for the Cougars over the weekend. She batted .857 (6-7) with two walks and two runs over the three-game set and extended her hitting streak to 13 games.

Add Comment