Golf

Future bright for UH

Sophomore Curtis Reed helped UH finish sixth at the C-USA Championship and is one of the reasons head coach Jonathan Dismuke is excited about the future. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Following a sixth place finish at the Conference USA Championships and the completion of their regular season, the Houston Cougars golf team now readies for the possibility of postseason play.

“We just need a tournament where all five of us perform at our best,” freshman Roman Robledo said. “If we do that, we’re going to be at the top of the leader board.”

Robledo, who led the youthful Cougars in tournaments played (12) and scoring average per round (72.92), was one of the bright spots during a season of building towards the future.

“Our goal was obviously to improve each and every week,” head coach Jonathan Dismuke said. “We got to compete at a very high level and made some huge strides.”

Houston’s highest finish of the 2011-2012 campaign came in the form of a first-place tie at the Fighting Irish Gridiron Classic during late September. Individually, junior James Ross and sophomore Curtis Reed rounded out the top three statistically for the Cougars with scoring averages of 73.07 and 73.67 respectively.

“Curtis is definitely the talkative one … He eases the team,” Robledo said. “He’s very practice oriented and I’ve been able to learn a lot about my short game from him.”

Houston now sits and awaits their NCAA postseason fate with the 81 teams and 45 individuals who qualify to compete at six NCAA regionals sites being announced May 7. Regardless of the outcome, Robledo and the Cougars are positive about the direction of the program.

“We struggled in a couple tournaments but overall we’re heading in the right direction,” Robledo said. “I think we’re going to be a good contender going into next season.”