Track & Field

Cougar qualifiers complete year at championships

Houston had seven qualifiers and two relay teams compete in the NCAA Track and Field Championships last week but coach Leroy Burrell believed his team’s performance was a mixed bag.

“We did on the women’s side with the relays but fell short on a few things on the men’s side,” Burrell said. “It’s a learning process as a program and we have to get to a point where we are competing for a championship.”

The women captured All-American honors in the 4×100 meter relay with Tai’Shea Reese, Kiersten Brewer, Alicia Perkins and Grecia Bolton finishing in sixth with a time of 44.11.

For senior sprinter Bolton, the feeling of becoming an All-American was quite familiar. It was her third consecutive time receiving the honor in the 4×100 relay.

All-American honors are not a bad way to conclude a career but her time at UH may not be up.

Coach Burrell hinted that Bolton could return and compete outdoors.

Brewer and Perkins are both freshman and should be a part of a 4×100 meter relay for years to come.

“We expect (Brewer and Perkins) to grow, because as freshmen, you’re really just along for the ride,” Burrell said. “We expect them to continue the legacy that the women’s relay team set.”

Bolton also competed in the 100 meter dash where she finished in 11th place. She garnered a second-team All-American selection.

Reese, also a senior, and a part of the 4×100 squad placed 19th in the 200 meter race.

Demeeka Jones finished 22nd in the 100 meter hurdles.

Thomas Lang was a top-level performer placing 12th in the triple jump, enough to earn a second-team All-American status. Errol Nolan ran the 400 meter in 45.28 and placed ninth while the mens 4x400m placed 21st posting a 3:08.08 time. Dominique Charles, Kelvin Furlough, Doug Kelley, Errol Nolan were the competitors.