Baseball

Bourn’s second career All-Star Game appearance highlights successes for Cougars in major leagues

Former UH star Michael Bourn made his second appearance in the MLB’s All-Star Game Tuesday, this time representing the Atlanta Braves for the National League.

The outfielder is having the best offensive season of his career, hitting .311, including a career-best seven homeruns during the first half. Bourn’s first appearance in the midsummer classic came in 2010 with the Houston Astros when he became the fourth former UH player to make the All-Star squad. Woody Williams (2003, St. Louis Cardinals), Doug Drabek (1994, Pittsburgh Pirates) and Tom Paciorek (1981, Seattle Mariners) round out the list.

Four other Cougars have seen action in the major leagues this season, including catcher Chris Snyder (Houston Astros), pitcher Jesse Crain (Chicago White Sox), catcher Rob Johnson (New York Mets) and pitcher Brad Lincoln (Pittsburgh Pirates).

Lincoln has served as a well-rounded asset starting and in the bullpen for the first-place Pirates, compiling a 4-2 record and 2.98 ERA in 55.1 innings pitched.

In Chicago, Crain battled with stints on the DL because of his right shoulder but has been superb in his time on the mound with a 2.38 ERA in 22.1 innings pitched.