Campus

Metro strikes deal for rail line

Construction stopped in early summer.  |  File photo/The Daily Cougar

Construction stopped in early summer. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

UH and Metro have come to an agreement that will allow construction to continue on the UH leg of the Southeast light-rail line.

Metro will be allowed to begin work on the line following Wheeler Avenue to “a point east of Scott Street,” said UH spokesperson Richard Bonnin in a press release yesterday.

UH President and Chancellor Renu Khator said in a statement that both sides worked hard to reach this agreement.

“We have come to a resolution that both the University and Metro are happy with and that is in the best interests of the community,” Khator said.

“We look forward to completion of the Metro line and to the continuation of our partnership.”

As part of the agreement, Metro will address access issues caused by the construction, including those for the Childcare Center and the UH Department of Public Safety.

The construction stopped when the University wanted to hold on to land along the east side of Scott Street on which Metro planned to build a station and part of the line.

As of this deadline, no information has been released as to whether this conflict has been resolved, but construction has already begun on the east side of Scott Street just south of Elgin Avenue, north of the disputed area.

Metro plans to have the Southeast line completed by 2014. The line begins downtown, travels through TSU and UH and ends at Griggs Road. This is one of four lines in the works in the Houston area, according to Metro’s website.