Student Government

SGA snuffs out smoking-area issues, appoints new chief of staff

The Student Government Association held a meeting at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Elizabeth D. Rockwell Pavilion to discuss the ongoing legislation regarding the tobacco ban in addition to the presidential appointment of the new chief of staff.

The legislation stems from a Texas law passed in January, which required a tobacco ban to receive funding from the Cancer Prevention Research Institution of Texas.

The senate unanimously passed an amendment to the ban that required that smoking locations be more accessible to all students, not just campus residents. Additionally, the amendment stressed the importance of the senate-declared opinion on the ban: Smokers have the right to smoke.

“This is the opinion of the Senate. We did something this summer and we gave our opinion when the students we represent are not here to hear it,” said Eduardo Reyes, senator for the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences and author of the bill.

“Whether you smoke or not, this affects you.” he said.

In accordance with the new policy, smoking areas must be designated. This task began Friday when a committee led by Danny Alexander II, a senator for the Bauer College of Business, met for the first time.

The appointment of Lauren Rosenbaum to chief of staff also passed unanimously.

“She’s held most positions on campus and has a vast knowledge of how this university is run. She knows a lot of administration and faculty which is useful for her position,” said Cedric Bandoh, president of SGA.

“I know she’ll do well in her post and I hope you see in her what I see in her.”

According to Bandoh, the SGA has many empty chairs both figuratively and literally, as the senator table was sparse. Despite this, he expressed delight in the progress that the senate has made in the summer session.

“We really are in the office day in and day out working on initiatives,” Bandoh said.

The next SGA meeting for 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 5 is set in the Rockwell Pavilion.

• Smoking needs to be banned on campus. I have a rare autoimmune disease and whenever I smell cigarette smoke I instantly get sick for the rest of the day. It makes my autoimmune disease unmanageable and I have to go home.

Smoking is extremely harmful for everyone’s health and nobody should be allowed to congregate and smoke on campus.