Volleyball

Platt picks up 500th career win, first with team

It was a mixed weekend for the Cougars’ volleyball team, as they left the Lipscomb University-hosted tournament with only one win despite another standout performance from senior hitter Katie Norris. The win was head coach Kaddie Platt’s 500th win and her first as a coach at UH. But for Platt, it was just another road win.

“Everyone kept building up to it, making it a big deal,” Platt said. “I just wanted to get it over with and move on.”

Her focus on winning kept her mind somewhere else besides the record book.

“People asking, to me, it’s just another game,” Platt said. “Honestly, I never really knew it was coming.”

Humility and deference aside, Platt was more focused on her team’s accomplishments than her record.

“I feel like we played with a lot of composure. It was a good game and we took a big jump as a team.”

The “big jump” was a 3-1 win over Lipscomb this past Saturday. Norris and senior blocker Chandace Tryon led the charge. Norris notched 24 kills while Tryon came in with 13.

The weekend started with a tough 3-0 loss to the University of Missouri, in which the Cougars failed to build momentum against the Tigers and their 46 team kills.

From there it was a heartbreaking 3-2 loss to Appalachian State, where Tryon put up numbers that would later earn her All-Tournament recognition — 27 kills, a career high for the senior.

“She just battles all the time, no matter who we’re playing,” Platt said. “She has no fear and goes hard.”

Norris added another All-Tournament award to her growing list of awards this weekend, having already made All-Tournament last week.

Senior spiker Abby Simmons contributed 40 assists and four kills. For the defense, sophomore libero Natalie Keck rang up 18 digs.

Tryon was also named All-Tournament for her performance.

“Chandace worked hard as usual and showed her leadership,” Platt said. “She plays hard for her team and proved her capabilities this weekend.”

With the Cougars’ two road trips stretched behind them, the first home game is set for this Friday against University of Texas at San Antonio at 7 p.m. in the Athletics/Alumni Center.

“It will be exciting to finally return home for our home opener and play in front of a great Cougar crowd this coming Friday,” Platt said.

• What ever happened to Caitlin Ogletree? Wasn’t she like all all conference last year, and setter of the week almost every week for the conference? Me and my friends loved coming to volleyball games last year and seeing her play and help lead the team. She is such an inspiration to many young volleyball players! Go Coogs!!! Hope to see you Caitlin play this Friday!!