SGA senate against campus smoking ban

Music performance junior Lucia Aparcio  and industrial construction managment senior Julian Zavala stop to take an e-smoke at the Technology Annex on campus.  |  Samantha Wong/The Daily Cougar

Music performance junior Lucia Aparcio and industrial construction managment senior Julian Zavala stop to take an e-smoke at the Technology Annex on campus. | Samantha Wong/The Daily Cougar

Smokers have had their run of campus for a long while, but as of summer, their in-between class lights have been extinguished — and they are not happy about it.

“I think it’s a little extreme since most smokers already keep a respectful distance from non-smokers,” said physics and chemistry freshman Zachary Bone, a smoker.

The updated policy is the cause of much controversy across campus, particularly since it was approved during the summer without much representation from the student body.

“The fact that something like this is being passed — and during the summer while no one is here — is flabbergasting,” said Student Government Association Sen. Eduardo Reyes.

“Students have the right to smoke. I actually think it is an infringement on students’ rights to limit their choices and decisions after they get out of class.”

On July 7, SGA officials authored “A Resolution on an Updated Tobacco Policy” as an expression of their absolute opinion and disapproval of the updated policy.

According to the resolution, the SGA seeks to protect non-smokers from the health hazards of unwanted secondhand smoke but supports students’ rights to smoke. The SGA Senate does not advocate a campus-wide ban.

“In the foreseeable future, I don’t see the student body and the student government ever agreeing to this bill or policy,” Reyes said.

However, UH Health Initiatives and the campus Tobacco Task Force say the new policy is not only required in order to receive grant funding from Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas for the University’s cancer research program, but necessary for the health of non-smoking students.

“UH’s tobacco-free policy is a positive and health-directed initiative,” said Kathryn Peek, assistant vice president for UH Health Initiatives and co-chair of the Tobacco Task Force.

“It is part of UH’s commitment to providing a healthy and sustainable environment for everyone in the UH community.”

With the lack of legitimate information sent to students about the new policy, though, it seems students will continue smoking in undesignated or smoking-prohibited areas and remain unaffected by the bill.

“Students are heavily inconvenienced by this bill,” Reyes said. “But I think it will be very difficult to enforce majorly because students haven’t even been informed.”

The SGA’s resolution suggests the tobacco policy — instead of prohibiting smoking — should designate specific smoking areas on-campus to accommodate smokers in inclement weather, properly relocate all cigarette receptacles at least 25 feet away from building entrances and erect “Tobacco-free Zone” signs near CPRIT-funded buildings, access ways and parking lots.

Under these guidelines, the resolution says, students would be saved from right infringement as well as protect from health risks.

The resolution also calls on new student orientation programs to inform incoming freshman of the on-campus tobacco policy, encourage students to utilize specifically designated smoking areas and notify them of the free, University-provided cessation services for tobacco users.

Despite the implementation of the new smoking policy, the University has barely succeeded in informing its students or developing an understanding with on-campus smokers.

“I think we need more communication,” said economics sophomore Tao Tao, a smoker. “Smokers and the school have to be on the same page.”

• As a public institution receiving government funds, can UH actually ban smoking? If so, what documentation are they citing?

• I am transfer student just starting at UH and I searched for information on the smoking policy to no avail. I could not find anything concrete on where you are allowed to smoke. The building where my class still has ashtrays right at the door. People who smoke do not want to bother others but without something in writing or posted on campus we have no idea what the guidelines are. I agree, there needs to be more communication with the student body.

• As a smoker, I have no problem smoking in designated areas. In fact, it is often a good way to meet other smokers. But where are the designated areas? So far I haven’t seen any.

• “health hazards of unwanted secondhand smoke”
    Incidental contact to open air cigarette smoke poses no health hazards. The poison is in the dose.

“But I think it will be very difficult to enforce majorly because students haven’t even been informed.”
    If we have enough police on campus that they have nothing better to do than enforce this ban, we have too many police.

• It’s ridiculous that there has been no information given out to the students about this policy. I for one am in favor of this policy. If one believes smoking is more vital than attaining an education by all means please find another university.

• Where did you get that idea? As a smoker, I came here to not just smoke, but to learn new things, further my education, and better myself. Why deny me and my fellow colleagues education here? Wouldn’t you be upset if we tried to pass a bill that required smoking everywhere? What if I said, “if one believes not smoking is more vital than attaining an education by all means please find another university.” Don’t forget that we pay the same tuition that you do as well as the same taxes that you do, plus some.

• I don’t believe anyone is denying you an education. Here is the deal if you wish to attend this university there are policies one must follow. One such policy is no smoking if you feel that you can not attend this university because of this policy I would believe you would rather spend your time and money else where. No one is making you attend this university that has such polices. It is your choice to attend. Like you stated you pay to attend and so do I but I follow polices at this university because I choose to attend this university. In the end I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

• I think it’s funny. I’m a senior at UH and actually chose to come here based on the smoking policy. We’ve successfully blocked the bill last semester, and then they go ahead and ban it during the summer while no one is here? That is the most underhanded thing that has happened to me since coming to UH, coming from whose supposed to represent my rights.

I’ve also spoken with dozens of faculty members who find the bill simply “stupid”. I mean the Area Coordinator of Moody Towers still smokes right in front of the No Smoking signs. What’s next? Put us in camps? Even the Security guards said they won’t enforce it unless they absolutely have to and then only grudgingly.

• Campus is a big place with lots of open spaces so this ban would be harsh to smokers. However, smoking should be banned in closed areas since it would affect non-smokers.