Nation

U.S. News & World Report ranks UH for the first time

The University of Houston has been ranked, for the first time, as one of the best colleges by U.S. News & World Report. UH was previously unranked for the 2012 listing by the U.S. News & World Report, but has finally been recognized, ranking 184 out of the 200 on the National Universities listing.
“The University of Houston’s advancement for the first time to the list of ranked universities in the U.S. News & World Report is a reward for our focus on student success,” UH President Renu Khator said.

U.S. News & World Report ranks universities based on up to 16 key measures of quality including, “peer assessment; graduation and retention rates; faculty resources — class size, for example — student selectivity — for example, average admissions test scores of incoming students — financial resources; (and) alumni giving,” according to its website.

“The advancement in the U.S. News undergraduate ranking reflects UH’s increased commitment to and efforts toward undergraduate student success,” said Libby Barlow, assistant vice president of academic affairs.

At UH, efforts have been made to increase retention, graduation rates and research.

“It is good we’re finally getting recognition,” said psychology junior Lindsay Kutryballa. “It’s great that people are finally taking notice.”

In addition to being part of the national rankings, the University ranked number two for having one of the most diverse campuses compared to other institutions listed. UH also ranked seventh for students who will graduate with the least amount of student loans accrued.

“It is important to note that while U.S. News does not rank on these factors, they report that we are now No. 7 in students who graduate with the least amount of debt and we continue to have the second most diverse student body,” Barlow said.

“Affordability is an important part of our student success initiatives,” Khator said. “I am gratified that our students can leave UH with a Tier One education and the ability to provide for themselves and contribute to the community instead of the daunting burden of paying off large student loans.”

The University’s recognition is beneficial to students, according to English junior Kiara Carter.

“It adds more value to my degree, so when I get out I feel more secure,” Carter said. “I’m glad for the publicity. I know we have a lot of good programs like English and business. We have a lot of good things going for us in that way.”

Applicants and parents often use the U.S. News and World Report rankings to learn about the qualities universities have, as well as other resources beneficial. UH being ranked in the listing of colleges and universities gives national recognition to the university.

For additional rankings for UH programs and to find out more about UH rankings, visit colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges.