State

Metro makes a stop at Austin

President Renu Khator and the SGA went to Austin for the festival. | David Haydon/The Daily Cougar

AUSTIN — A three-person panel at The Texas Tribune Festival on Saturday on trade and transportation entitled “Is light rail the answer” said the benefits of having a rail line outweigh the costs and inconvenience of the construction involved.

Manager of Rail Passenger Research at Texas A&M John Sedlak, Austin Councilman Mike Martinez and Deputy Executive Director of Dallas Area Rapid Transit Jesse Oliver served on the panel to discuss the future of light rails in Texas.

Sedlak, a former Metro employee responsible for the development of their first light rail line, said it’s a process that affects businesses and consumers.

“It’s like trying to do a heart transplant, you’ve got to keep the patient alive and keep them functioning,” Sedlak said. “It’s a really tough situation to come into dense urban centers and make changes to all the utilities that are going to be impacted.”

Martinez said there is more to solving a city congestion problem than the light rails.

“The answer to a growing population and increased traffic is multi-faceted,” Martinez said. “Light rail is only part of the solution, and Austin should improve their roads and increase the amount of bike paths and sidewalks.”

Martinez said he would like Austin to follow the same path that Houston has taken by connecting UH and TSU with the light-rail system.

“In my opinion it can’t happen soon enough,” Martinez said.  “We have to have as many options available to us in terms of public transportation. I would love to see Austin take that step towards an urban rail circulation system but it is very expensive and it will take some time. Even if we were to pass it in the next few year it wouldn’t be up and running until 2020.”

Oliver said there has always been opposition to transportation expansions.

“Some of the things that are asked today about light-rail were probably asked about the Intercontinental Railroads in the 1860s, maybe the Erie Canal long before that,” Oliver said. And more recently even about Interstate 35 when it was being proposed back in the 50s.

According to Oliver, Dallas has seen the benefits of a light rail system.

“There’s a lot of advantages to light rail development and rail development. There has been like an 8-1 return on public dollars invested in light rail by the private sector in terms of redevelopment around the stations,” Oliver said.

For Sedlak, light-rail is important for a simple reason.

“We can’t build our way out of congestion.”

• Light rail is good, but it all depends on how a government agency handles it. People are accustomed to often a lot of incompetency from Houston’s own METRO, whether it comes from providing adequate services to money pilfering and general waste. Even with the “new” METRO, people are still hesitant to give them any more taxpayer funding to build light rail if they expect it to be mostly a waste.

Arguments can be made whether at-grade versus elevated or sub-based rail should be used based on the costs, but it’s generally agreed upon that rail has significant benefits over a bus system for an area with growing population. Unfortunatey, due to some bungling, the University rail line might not even be finished until 2025 at the earliest if everyone votes Yes on the mobility funding proposition in November.
    http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/in_focus&id=8802383