Campus

Dining hall named; students comment

The new Cougar Woods dining hall is set to open its doors Oct. 1 at the intersection of Wheeler Street and Cullen Boulevard.  |  Hannah Laamoumi/The Daily Cougar

The new Cougar Woods dining hall is set to open its doors Oct. 1 at the intersection of Wheeler Street and Cullen Boulevard. | Hannah Laamoumi/The Daily Cougar

The latest addition to the dining establishments on campus has been named and is set to open in October.

The new hall was named “Cougar Woods” by Beth Owen Woods, whose submission was chosen from among several others in a survey open from Aug. 27 to Aug. 31, during which time 300 members of the faculty, staff and student body participated. The survey was held online via Facebook and SurveyMonkey.

“The survey was advertised through a campus news release and posted on UHDS’ Facebook and Twitter,” Arguijo said.

“Advertisement was done on the official Facebook page and Twitter pages of the University. It was also shared on various campus pages.”

Woods will be awarded a plaque and bicycle for winning the contest, said UH in a news release.

“The Real Food on Campus restaurant will be open on Monday, Oct. 1,” said Amber Arguijo, marketing manager for UH Dining Services.

Participants submitted numerous name ideas during the spring semester to a Facebook page devoted to taking submissions.

“We had approximately 300 name ideas submitted during that time. After the submissions were closed, a panel of University administrators narrowed the list down,” Aruijo said.

After the submission period ended, the administrators shortened the list to three: Cougar Woods, West End and The Roar. Cougar Woods was chosen with 49 percent of the votes, according to the press release.

Some students took to the name quickly.

“I think it’s a pretty cool name,” said music education junior Matt Singletary.

“It’s got a ring to it. ‘See you at the Woods!’”

Overall, the dining hall’s name has seen mixed reviews.

“(It) sounds a little weird, but it’s fine as long as they serve good food,” said music education junior Cassie Castro.

Though some are concerned with the name, others are more interested in the aesthetics and vibe of the hall.

“I believe the name suits our new dining hall very well,” said computer science senior Sabah Akbani.

“I think it would definitely be pretty awesome if there was an enclosed fireplace in there for cold winter days.”

Cougar Woods will open at 7 a.m. Oct. 1. In addition to the hall, an accompanying Cougar Xpress Mini Market will open at 9 a.m. that same day.