Crime

Calhoun c-store robber arrested

The Calhoun Lofts convenience store (above) was robbed yesterday morning.  |  Rebekah Stearns/The Daily Cougar

The Calhoun Lofts convenience store (above) was robbed yesterday morning. | Rebekah Stearns/The Daily Cougar

A black male, about 5-feet-7-inches, robbed a Calhoun Lofts Cougar Xpress Market clerk at about 9:30 a.m. Monday and escaped in a stolen truck from La Marque, said UH Chief of Police Ceaser Moore in a press conference later that day.

The man acted like he was carrying a weapon, although none of the witnesses saw a gun, Moore said.

According to Moore, police know the man’s identity.

“I have a good idea of who he is, but because of everything we’re working on at this time, I’m not prepared to release his name or photograph,” Moore said.

Officers of the Houston Police Department found the truck in the parking lot of the Red Carpet Inn on the Gulf Freeway, Moore said.

According to Moore, the suspect fled with a passenger in the truck but crashed the vehicle during the chase. He then exited the truck, carjacked another vehicle and escaped the police, Moore said.

Police have apprehended the passenger and also returned to the Red Carpet Inn on a tip and apprehended another suspect, Moore said. Charges on both suspects are pending and police are still searching for the man who committed the robbery.

No one has been injured in any of the crimes.

“We’re trying to do the best job we can in putting the pieces of these crimes together. The students know that we will follow all the leads and bring this person to justice,” Moore said.

Update at 11:46 a.m.: At 3 a.m. today, a suspect was arrested the Galveston County Sheriff’s Office, according to an email sent by UH Media Relation at 11:44 a.m. today. The man was identified as Terrance Anderson who was hospitalized after his car flipped over several times as he tried to evade arrest.