Robertson Stadium demolition underway

A new scoreboard was built in 2006 when The Dynamo began playing their home games at Robertson. File photo/The Daily Cougar

The first phase of the demolition of Robertson Stadium began Sunday with the stripping of the stadium’s interior, a process that is set to continue through next Sunday.

Manhattan Construction Company, which will construct the new stadium, has begun erecting construction fencing surrounding the area, which will be fenced in by Saturday.

Manhattan Construction will work in a joint venture with JTB Services Inc. and Lindamood Demolition for the project. For students and faculty, it will result in the loss of 2,020 parking spots by Sunday. In order to mitigate the loss of these spaces, students and faculty are encouraged to use the 2,300 spaces provided in the recent opening of the Stadium Garage.

Major demolition of the stadium will begin on Dec. 10 with the tearing down of the southeast concession stand, which will symbolize the start of the demolition.

The stadium demolition is projected to last six to eight weeks.

The Athletics Department will have a webcam available on www.UHCougars.com to track the progress, and anyone can view the project in person from the rooftop of the stadium parking garage.

The Cougars are set to open their new state-of-the-art facility in August 2014.

• In order to mitigate the loss of these spaces, students and faculty are encouraged to pay hundreds of extra dollars for an upgraded parking permit to the university who has just taken hundreds extra to pay for an unneeded new stadium.

• If they weren’t building the new stadium, they’d be forced to renovate the current one instead, because the building is no code compliant. This renovation would happen a year later, and it would still cause the closing of 2,000 parking spots, and it would still cost money that comes out of your tuition and fees; that 50 dollar addition to your fee bill would’ve been charged whether the referendum passed our not. The vote was to approve the use of it to build the new stadium. Had the vote failed, that 50 bucks would’ve used for stadium renovations instead, which wouldn’t have required voter permission to appropriate. Don’t blame this on the new stadium, blame it on the school’s unwillingness to provide garage permits at discounted rates.

I don’t know why people insist on vilifying the construction of a new stadium, as if none of these money/parking problems would’ve happened otherwise.

• Cleverly planned by the university to profit off of students by making them buy parking permits in the Garage.

That is public extortion! I condemn this construction

• Then don’t buy a parking garage permit. If you think it’s overpriced, vote by your wallet. I choose not to drive to campus to avoid paying altogether so I’m not too concerned about the parking woes of people that choose to drive to school.

There are whiners and there are doers. I’m a doer if you can’t tell.