Events

SPB concludes Winter Wonderland with film screening

Following the the Student Program Board’s fourth annual Winter Wonderland, the organization invited students to the Cullen Performance Hall for a free screening of Warren Miller Entertainment’s “Flow State.”

The movie features snowboarders and skiers shredding down the snow-covered slopes, connecting with the mountains and losing themselves in their performance.

The screening was part of the Coke-sponsored Free Movie Night series hosted by SPB that entertains students with films at the Cullen Performance Hall.

The SPB also hosted the fourth annual Winter Wonderland, an event that featured more than 100,000 pounds of artificial snow Thursday at Lynn Eusan Park prior to the screening of the film that evening.

“This is a transition for (Winter Wonderland) that’s in connection with that,” said Cinema Committee Chair Anjuli Tuck.

The movie, which shows fresh snow and sunshine, gave students a feel for what it would be like to live in a climate more representative of cold weather conditions.

“I know Houston doesn’t have a winter season so that’s kind of the whole point of doing this — to give people the opportunity to see it and what it feels like,” Tuck said.

Pre-nursing and psychology sophomore Odinakachukwu Ezeigwe, who was one of the attendees at the screening, was unfamiliar with skiing and snowboarding and had a diverse perception toward the film.

“I’m kind of mixed about the movie. I find it interesting because I have no experience snowboarding or skiing, but also kind of impossible because I don’t see myself doing it,” Ezeigwe said.

Despite the event being free and an opportunity for students to get out and experience entertainment, attendance was scarce.

“Sometimes students don’t want to take advantage of these events, but they just kind of think that we’re another type of group that’s just doing stuff when we are actually their Student Program Board on this campus,” Tuck said. “And I think that’s just one thing students need to realize — we are putting on these events for them.”