Men's Basketball

Cougars cruise to first Conference USA victory

Freshman forward Danuel House rises for a slam. He finished with a career-high 28 points.  |  Rebekah Stearns

Freshman forward Danuel House rises for a slam. He finished with a career-high of 28 points. |  Rebekah Stearns/The Daily Cougar

Sophomore forward TaShawn Thomas was the happiest player in the locker room after the Cougars’ 78-67 victory against SMU.

Thomas, who averages 16 points per game, had a poor night from the field, but was excited that his teammates had a great night shooting the basketball, head coach James Dickey said.

Thomas scored only six points but sophomore guard Joseph Young (20 points) and freshman forward Danuel House (28) were the Cougars’ best two offensive players against SMU and both fueled rallies that led to their seventh consecutive win in their first Conference USA game of the year.

House is getting better and more aggressive each game, Dickey said. He didn’t settle for 3-pointers, only attempting two. House drove the lane when the defense gave him openings and wasn’t afraid to take a midrange jumper when the defenders gave space.

“He was playing the way he should play,” Dickey said. “He’s also getting better at reading the defense.”

The Cougars started the game sluggish offensively and defensively — the Mustangs shot 60 percent from the field in the first half and jumped out to a 32-22 lead with 2:22 remaining in the first half. UH went on an 11-2 run — of which, House scored seven — to cut SMU’s halftime lead to four.

An unlikely player sparked the rally. Junior guard Jimmie Jones entered the game when foul trouble plagued the Cougars. Three guards had two fouls. It was Jones’ first significant minutes of the season.

Jones hit a 3-pointer that began the 11-2 run and had three assists.

“(Jones) gives a boost offensively and defensively. He goes hard everyday in practice,” House said. “He brings his 110 percent each day, and that elevates the team play in practice and in games.”

Young has been shooting well from long distance. Before the contest against SMU, Young has averaged 22.8 points per game and 54.8 percent on 3-pointers the past five games. SMU forced him off the 3-point line so Young moved inside the arc and scored off the dribble and in transition.

The Cougars needed his scoring in the second half.

Early in the second half SMU pushed their lead back up to nine points. Young’s 14th point of the second half, which put UH up 55-53 with 8:28 remaining, their first since a 1-0 lead early in the first half.

The team looks to Young to make shots, Dickey said.

“When a guy is shooting the ball well, two things are happening in my mind, first he’s taking good shots and second his teammates are finding him at the right time,” Dickey said. “They are doing that and Joe is really responding.”

Most importantly, the Cougars picked up the defensive intensity after the break. In the second half, the Mustangs shot 30 percent from the field. SMU head coach Larry Brown said UH got the 50-50 balls and benefited from using its big men to get SMU’s players in foul trouble.

It was a tale of two halfs. Dickey told the team that they needed to play much better in the second to garner a victory.

“They told us we played our worst half possible, and that they played their best,” said senior forward Leon Gibson. “We needed to play defense, attack the rim better and come out strong.”

Junior guard Jimmie Jones changed the momentum of the game when he entered in the first half, head coach James Dickey said.  | Rebekah Stears/The Daily Cougar

Junior guard Jimmie Jones changed the momentum of the game when he entered in the first half, head coach James Dickey said. | Rebekah Stears/The Daily Cougar