Fine Arts

Blaffer brings excitement and creativity to its spring events

A new year for Blaffer Art Museum means another year filled with events and exhibitions sure to entice the creative and the curious.

Dan Cameron, a veteran artist and current chief curator at the Orange County Museum of Art, will kick off Blaffer’s “Visiting Artist and Scholar Series: Materiality” on Jan. 16.

Since the museum’s $2.25 million renovation last year, it has attracted fresh, local artistic talent and international artists. Director of External Relations Matt Johns said he hopes the UH community will take advantage of the museum’s many exhibitions, programs and events.

“Blaffer Art Museum was excited to bring internationally renowned artists and scholars to campus,” Johns said. “It gives students, faculty and staff the opportunity to interact with some of the most exciting art world professionals of our time.”

The 2012 and 2013 visiting artist series will question the material practice in the arts. The series is brought to UH by collaboration with Blaffer Art Museum, Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts and UH School of Art.

“Blaffer is interested in taking risks and offering a space for students, faculty and staff to explore their creative inclinations both professionally and recreationally,” Johns said.