Sims spurns NFL, returns to UH for senior season

Rising senior running back Charles Sims rushed for more than 100 yards four times last season. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

When Charles Sims decided no to go pro, vice president of Intercollegiate Athletics Mack Rhoades was happy for two reasons: Sims would graduate with a health degree and continue to produce on the field.

“He’s a semester away from graduating. This ensures that he graduates and gives him another year to develop … He’s just a great young man,” Rhoades said.

Sims added a boost to next season’s offense when he decided to return to school. He had his draft stock evaluated, and after serious consideration, decided to return to UH.

Sims led the Cougars with 851 rushing yards and 11 rushing touchdowns, placing third in Conference USA both in yards, with 94.6 yards per game, and points, with 9.3 per game.

At times, Sims was the Cougars’ best threat in the passing game, finishing fifth in yards and receptions on the team. He also had three receiving touchdowns.

Sims had four 100-yard rushing games and one 100-yard receiving game this season.

“The NFL is my ultimate goal and will still be my goal when I finish at Houston. My family and I sat down and carefully evaluated all aspects of the decision and in the end, the opportunity for one more year at Houston was the decision we felt strongly about,” Sims said. “I enjoy being here and enjoy being around my teammates.”

After the Cougars’ 35-14 victory against Rice, head coach Tony Levine said getting Sims involved was critical to the team’s success on offense.

Levine said he wanted to get Sims at least 25 touches in each contest.

Toward the end of the season, with the possibility of a bowl game, the Cougars weren’t able to get Sims involved due to injuries. In the Cougars’ final four games, Sims received five or fewer carries in each contest, and UH compiled a 1-3 record.

“To kind of pinpoint a number, we want around 25. In the Louisiana Tech game, he touched it around 33 times, and that’s fine too … He’s a dynamic player,” Levine said. “He may rush for 3, and he may rush for 2, but at some point, he’s going to break one and make a guy miss and take it for 50.”

Levine said he was excited Sims would return for his senior season. He said Sims will be a leader on the team and a big part of the offense next season.

“He is a valued member of our program, not just as a player but as a person,” Levine said. “Charles is a great role model and displays great character. As a football player, he is what’s exciting about college football and will continue to be so in the future in his main contributor role. I am excited with the type of offense we will display in 2013 with Charles leading the way.”

• Mr. Sims, you are a class act. Get your education, stay for your Senior year and we will be in the stands supporting you and the rest of the team 100%. GO COOGS! You are a great example for the rest of the team and we are proud of you!