Volleyball picks up two signings

Though the UH women’s volleyball squad lost standout sophomore setter Caitlin Ogletree to the Cincinnati Bearcats during the winter break, it also gained two in her place.

Head coach Kaddie Platt announced the arrival of incoming freshman setter Jazzmyn Tingelhoff of Lakeville South High School in Lakeville, Minn.

“We are excited to add Jazzmyn to the Houston family,” Platt said.

“She has high-level training and playing experience with Lakeville South HS and Mizuno Northern Lights Volleyball Club. Jazzmyn is smart setter and understands the complexity of running the offense and breaking down an opponent’s defense. She is a competitive, committed, hardworking and coachable player.”

A four-year letterman as a Lakeville Cougar, Tingelhoff graduated a semester early to begin training with UH before the start of the fall season. She holds the single-season and career-assist record and was named three times to the state all-conference team. She is the granddaughter of former Minnesota Vikings center Mick Tingelhoff, a six-time selection to the NFL Pro Bowl.

“We are thrilled for the opportunity to train Jazz during spring training,” Platt said. “Having her learn our system early will help develop team chemistry and learn our team culture.”

In addition to Tingelhoff, UH signed Sarita Mikals of Colleyville Heritage High School. Mikals, an outside hitter and two-year letterman, helped her team to a 46-2 record her senior season. She also led the team to a district championship, followed by a second-place finish in the regional tournament.

“Sarita is a six-rotation player who is a creative scorer,” Platt said. “She will be used on both pins, giving us some flexibility in our offense. We are excited about her commitment to the Houston family.”

The two signings balance the departure of Ogletree, who will reunite at Cincinnati with former UH coach Molly Alvey, who originally recruited her.