Student Government

Cougar voices now trending

Students will be able to make their voices heard to their SGA representatives with the development of a few interactive resources.

Through Improve UH, formerly known as MindMixer, students will be able to connect with their constituents directly and voice their concerns.

According to SGA President Cedric Bandoh, SGA Vice President Turner Harris is currently focusing on general discussion items to get things started. When Improve UH is up and running, students can submit ideas and feedback for SGA to consider

The new web service is expected to launch within the next two weeks and will be available at improve.uh.edu.

In addition to connecting to students through Improve UH, SGA will be hosting TweetChats every other week starting 7 p.m. Tuesday.

“It will be like a forum between SGA and students,” said Jeanette Rivera, director of Public Relations.

“If students have any questions, they can submit them, and we will be there to answer.”

Students are also encouraged to submit questions to Facebook that they would like to see answered during the TweetChat.

The chat is accessed through tweetchat.com#askUHSGA, which can be accessed through a Twitter account.

In addition to the creation of Improve UH, last Wednesday’s meeting included five SGA appointments.

Three students who were selected by Bandoh for the new Election Trial Board went up for election at the meeting.

“I’ve selected people who are outside of the SGA community, and that’s on purpose since they will be serving in the judicial capacity. We need impartial members of this new board,” Bandoh said.

After much debate, Bryan Haver and Yasz Shaikh were elected to the board.

Other appointments at the meeting included Senator Tanzeem Chowdhury for the Activity Funding Board, Senator Kirby White for Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee and Senator Sean Tarver as Speaker.

SGA hopes to have students involved is with its Rebuild Cullen Boulevard campaign. The campaign was a hot topic at the meeting. Director of External Affairs Mark Solano, Chief of Staff Lauren Rosenbaum and Rivera backed it in separate reports.

SGA will be setting up signs in the near future to spread the word about the campaign.

“We are working on getting signs prepared that will be placed along Cullen Boulevard so when you hit a bump, you can see where to go to complain,” Solano said.

A Facebook page has been set up that will act as a petition to get Cullen rebuilt.

“We want roughly 1,500 likes; that’s our way to show the City of Houston that something really needs to be done about Cullen Boulevard,” Rosenbaum said.

“We’re tired of bouncing up and down when driving down the street.”