Activities & Organizations

Frontier Fiesta looks for the ‘Coog Factor’

UH spirit won’t have to be fueled by Shasta and the UH Cheerleaders alone this year, as one of the goals of the Coog Factor is to promote Cougar pride by way of a talent show.  |  File Photo/The Daily Cougar

UH spirit won’t have to be fueled by Shasta and the UH Cheerleaders alone this year, as one of the goals of the Coog Factor is to promote Cougar pride by way of a talent show. | File Photo/The Daily Cougar

In efforts to raise Cougar spirit, the Coog Factor Association will bring a talent show to the line up of Frontier Fiesta for the first time.

“The University doesn’t really have anything that spirited after the fall semester, and that sucks for the school spirit,” said psychology and bioprocessing sophomore Isaiah Ross, president of the Coog Factor Association.

“So what we’ve decided is we wanted to find someone on campus who has that ‘it’ factor, the Coog Factor. The best way to find that out is by putting on a type of talent show.”

The CFA will host a Wild West Talent Show featuring student performers on the opening night of Frontier Fiesta on March 21. The festival will continue until March 23 and offer cookouts, live music and the unmistakable “Fiesta City.”

The CFA was established in the fall and aims to rally school spirit year round.

The organization’s goal is to host an extravagant talent show, inspired by the television show “The X Factor.” Frontier Fiesta representatives, already hoping to bring a student showcase to its event, saw great potential in partnering with Coog Factor to host the Wild West Talent Show.

“Isaiah has been a good friend of mine since middle school,” said nutrition sophomore Cynthia Orobio, director of productions for Frontier Fiesta. “I sat in on a couple of their meetings, and when Frontier Fiesta wanted to do a talent show or some type of battle of the bands, I immediately thought of Coog Factor. Their organization is all about showcasing talent all over Houston and all over campus.”

The Coog Factor Association still plans to host its own variety showcase next spring but sees this opportunity as a learning experience.

“This is an opportunity to show what the Coog Factor Association is and get our names out there,” Ross said. “Also, this is showing us what it’ll be like when we do our own show separate from Frontier Fiesta. And so the most exciting thing is just the learning experience of it all.”

The Coog Factor is currently accepting entry forms for students who would like to perform and encourage students, bands and organizations to get involved in the event as a way to showcase themselves and show some school spirit.

To enter the Wild West Talent Show and learn more about the organization, contact [email protected].

Students are also encouraged to participate in other Coog Factor events.

“We’re really excited about bringing the school together so we consider ourselves more than that day of the show,” Ross said. “We want to do itty-bitty things like put on salsa nights for people who want to dance and poetry slam nights, things like that. So you can expect that from us — anything that shows the students and the variety and diversity of them.”