Baseball

Cougars’ bats rise to challenge

Freshman Kyle Survance (2x3, 3 R, RBI) drove in a run and scored three times, while producing a multi-hit game. | Esteban Portillo/The Daily Cougar

Freshman outfielder Kyle Survance (2×3, 3 R, RBI) drove in a run and scored three times, while producing a multi-hit game. | Esteban Portillo/The Daily Cougar

At the plate, patience was the order of the night for the Cougars. UH amassed 14 walks and 15 runs in a game that was stopped after the seventh inning.
Four runs came from the bat of junior infielder Jonathan Davis. Freshman infielder Josh Vidales entered the Classic records books by drawing four walks, one of which helped set the first inning grand slam by Davis.
“I went up there with the approach of just trying to get the guy in,” Davis said. “I was looking for something to hit, and the guy threw me a 3-1 fastball, and I was able to put a good swing on it.”
Davis was tied with with junior catcher Caleb Barker with four RBIs while freshman outfielder Kyle Survance led the team with two hits.
“For a young team to come out and take that many walks is impressive,” said head coach Todd Whitting. “It’s easy to go there as young hitters and start swinging away. Our approach at the plate tonight was outstanding.”
From the mound, senior right-hander Austin Pruitt continued his dominance from the mound, earning his third win of the season while keeping his ERA at 1.71. He struck out seven batters in six innings of work. Junior reliever Dylan Rucker held the Bears hitless in his one inning.
“Austin Pruitt did a great job of coming off the bench (after sitting through two long innings) on a cold night and pitching well like he normally does,” Vidales said.
Before the Classic, UH and Baylor agreed to a provision that said if one team has reached 10 or more runs before the seventh, and the game isn’t competitive, the Umps can call the game
2-0 in the Classic so far, the Cougars will take the field for their last game against the University of California-Berkeley at 11 a.m. Sunday at Minute Maid Park.