Women's Basketball

Late mistakes hurt Cougars

UH turned the ball over five times and failed to hit a field goal in the final 4:35, allowing UCF to extend a lead the Cougars could not overcome Thursday.

The Cougars fell to the Knights by a score 68-55 in Orlando, Fla. The loss drops the Cougars to 6-8 in Conference USA and 12-15 overall.

The Knights dominated the Cougars on the glass. UH outrebounded by 14 with UCF junior guard Erika Jones grabbing a game-high 18 rebounds

When the Cougars held their largest lead of the game (5) with 9:06 remaining in the first half, foul trouble hurt them. Junior center Yasmeen Thompson and junior forward Te’onna Campbell were forced to sit out the remainder of the half, allowing the Knights to make a run and take 30-29 lead at recess.

The Cougars three-point shooting has been a dismal all year, as they are rank dead in C-USA at 25 percent, and it showed. They shot 8.3 percent (1-12), compared to the Knight’s 44 (8-18). Shots from behind the arc hurt UH later in the game.

UCF freshman guard Briahanna Jackson connected on her fourth and fifth 3-pointers to give her team a 59-48 lead with 5:09 remaining in the second half. UH kept it close after Thompson’s two free throws cut the lead to 59-54, but turnovers and missed opportunities down the stretch hindered them from getting any closer.

Redshirt senior guard Porsche Landry scored a team-high 13 points to go along with three steals in 38 minutes of play. Freshman forward Marche’ Amerson was able to score 10 points and snatch six rebounds, making it the third time in four games where she has seen double figures.

Landry will play her final game and cap her UH career on senior night against Rice.

The Cougars hope to see results similar to when they played the Owls on Feb. 10, a game in which Landry scored 17 points that lead a 14 point comeback victory.

UH will tip off against Rice at 2 p.m. Sunday at Hofheinz Pavilion.