Health

Minding the sun with a summer bronze

Undeclared junior Frances Silva and accounting senior Anay Silva enjoy a shady day on campus before Houston heat hits again with a mean streak.  |  Minh Dam/The Daily Cougar

Undeclared junior Frances Silva and accounting senior Anay Silva enjoy a shady day on campus before Houston heat hits again with a mean streak. | Minh Dam/The Daily Cougar

As the weather warms up and shorts become a necessity, tanning is becoming more popular, but college students are forgetting their sunblock and increasing their chances of developing skin cancer.

A pilot study in 2012 from the Department of Public Health at William Paterson University exposed that 88 percent of students spend more than three hours outside on summer days, but only 17 percent of those students use sunblock during that time. The research also showed that 41 percent reported  as having had more than 10 sunburns in their life. Director of UH Wellness Gail Gillan encouraged students to protect themselves from the sun.

“Working on a tan might be great now, but it can really work against you later. It ages and damages the skin,” Gillan said. “You need to think about how sensitive your skin might be. Even if you don’t burn, you can still damage your skin.”

Seeking substitutes to sun-bathing or tanning booths, Gillan said she looked to the Food and Drug Administration for advice in using spray tans and bronzers.

“Alternatives for tanning are not approved by the FDA, but you should always check the ingredients for allergies and protect all areas of the eyes and lips,” she said.

Gillan said students who plan to spend time in the sun should often reapply sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, even if it’s water- or sweat-resistant. She also emphasized the importance of staying hydrated and taking breaks from the sun.

Communications junior Kristina Reyna said she formerly used tanning booths but switched to spray tanning and sun tanning after warned about skin cancer and excessive aging.

“I don’t like to admit it, but the media probably does enforce that tanned girls are more beautiful,” said Reyna, who spray tans about once or twice a week. “I like how I look tan.”

She added that spray tanning takes time, effort and money to maintain.

“I have to plan my day around it, and it’s expensive,” Reyna said. “I pay $50 a month for unlimited services. I use a special body wash to make it last longer too, and I have to wait eight hours for it to dry.”

Pre-pharmacy sophomore Therese Ecobiza also insisted society creates an idea that having a bronze-tan skin tone is more attractive.

“I’m naturally a tan color, so I don’t tan for the color,” Ecobiza said. “I mostly tan to get the sun-kissed vibrant glow, and I like the feeling of tanning, especially at the beach, relaxing and soaking up the sun.”

She said she is fully aware of the consequences of tanning, and prefers bronzers and spray tans in moderation over tanning salons.

“I’m actually taking a class where we just talked about skin cancer and the effects of UV radiation,” Ecobiza said. “When I go to the beach, I do bring an umbrella to get out of the sun for a bit, and I’ve been good about wearing sunscreen once it gets warmer, even just walking to class.