Overtime

Big East rebrands itself as American Athletic Conference

Conference

After an exhaustive search, which included focus groups and social media outreach, the Big East Conference will be renamed the American Athletic Conference.

The conference will re-brand itself entirely including its associations and media at the conclusion of the 2012-2013 season. Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco said he believes the new name will represent strength, aspiration and tradition for the conference.

“Our name is a nod to tradition, but at the same time makes clear our determination to be a conference with national impact and appeal,” Aresco said. “The American Athletic Conference will represent core American values of optimism, energy, growth and innovation.”

One lucky fan and a guest will park in a reserved spot in front of the Athletics/Alumni Center and enjoy a pregame meal with the team at the coaching staff’s table.

After dinner, the pair will meet with head coach Tony Levine in his office before heading out to Carl Lewis Field, adorned with two VIP field passes, to pick the first offensive play of the game.

Cougar fans can bid on the package on UHCougars.com from now until 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Men’s Basketball

Young basketball players are invited to join UH men’s basketball head coach James Dickey this summer for four camps starting June 10.

Dickey and his staff will host three-day camps held June 10 through 13, June 17 through 20 and July 29 through Aug. 1. The camps will cost $240 and will from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day with the exception of Aug. 1.

Additionally, a position camp featuring a shooting and skills session and a point guard and post lesson will be held on June 22. Running 8 a.m. to noon (shooting and skills) and 1 to 5 p.m., each session will cost $30.

All camps will feature individual instruction and skill work from the Cougar staff and student-athletes. Campers will be divided into groups by age and skill and will receive a free camp T-shirt along with an invitation to an NCAA student athlete information session at the end of the camp.