Goldwater scholar gets glory

Lindsey Brier, a mathematical biology junior, is representing UH nationwide as a 2013 Barry M. Goldwater Scholar and recipient of an esteemed scholarship from the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program.

“The Goldwater Scholarship is a nationally competitive scholarship for undergraduates who are interested in a career in research within science, technology, engineering or mathematics,” said Karen Weber, director for the Office of Undergraduate Research. “We were really fortunate to have four strong candidates from UH this year.”

Established by Congress in 1986 in honor of Goldwater, the Goldwater Scholarship awards an academic scholarship to 300 students nationwide and is considered the most prestigious undergraduate award in the U.S. for science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines.

“I am honored to represent UH at the national level,” Brier said. “The University has presented me with so many great opportunities.”

The reception of this scholarship is a wonderful accomplishment for Brier. Her research focuses in determining the cause of the differential toxicity between cholera toxin and enterotoxin to find the influential interactions in the toxin responsible for causing many epidemics.

“This award has only increased the motivation I have to continue to pursue medical research and to hopefully make a meaningful contribution to my field in the future,” Brier said.

Along with the national recognition for her excellence in research, James Briggs, associate professor in the biology and biochemistry department, hopes that the Goldwater Scholarship will bring Brier opportunities for higher education.

“Lindsey excels academically in research and is driven. This is evident in her accomplishments, including those outside of science,” Briggs said. “I believe that the scholarship will help to open the door to graduate studies at the top research institutions in the country.”

Brier would like to one day earn her Ph.D. and is looking forward to continuing her research in the field of drug discovery.

“I find this field to be the perfect blend of mathematics, computer science, physics, chemistry and biology topics,” Brier said. “I hope to one day make a contribution that has a great impact on the way we combat certain diseases like cancer.”