New editor in chief promises action

After a long deliberation, the Student Publications Committee elected Channler K. Hill on Thursday as the editor in chief of The Daily Cougar for the coming academic year.

“I’m extremely shocked; I was crying. I definitely didn’t think that it was going to be me because I think there were two other really strong candidates,” Hill said. “I’m really blessed with this opportunity, and I’m grateful to God that he was watching over me.”

Hill, who is currently the assistant news editor of the Cougar and editor in chief of Transitions Magazine, ran against print journalism junior Natalie Harms, news editor of the Cougar, and English junior Amanda Hilow, the Cougar’s managing editor.

Although all the candidates brought a great amount of experience to the table, Hill explained her goals and vision to the committee in a clear and methodical manner, winning her election.

“The committee was faced with a challenge, as the three candidates were all excellent,” said David McHam, an associate professor who serves on the SPC. “Perhaps what gave Channler an advantage was that she has worked in every phase of the Cougar, and the committee liked her vision of what the Cougar needs to accomplish.”

A few of Hill’s plans include increasing the newspaper’s visibility on campus, having assistant section editors be in control of online content and encouraging students to write for the paper, regardless of their major, by encouraging incoming freshman at orientation to get involved.

“I’m really looking forward to implementing all my goals. I don’t want to be like someone who gets the people all excited about everything they have planned and don’t come through with it,” Hill said. “Everything that I have on my statement of goals I’m going to accomplish throughout my time as editor in chief.”

Yet, the coming year as editor in chief of the Cougar will bring many challenges for Hill.

“The job of editor is perhaps the most difficult student job on campus. Channler will be tested in a variety of ways,” said Matt Dulin, director of Student Publications. “From managing a staff to dealing with mistakes while also putting forward her agenda to improve quality and visibility, I hope she learns from every aspect of the job and can graduate, look back and say, ‘The Daily Cougar made me a better student, a stronger journalist and a more capable leader.’”

Staff and students alike are looking forward to the future of the Cougar as Hill takes the lead.

“More than anything, I am looking forward to seeing a team of student journalists come together to ensure the UH community has a vibrant and engaging newspaper that is widely read both in print and online,” Dulin said.