Baseball

Errors, cold bats doom Cougars in lopsided loss at home

The Cougars managed only six hits in a 15-1 loss to Seton Hall on Sunday.  |  Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars managed only six hits in a 15-1 loss to Seton Hall on Sunday. | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

It wasn’t the sort of Sunday UH was looking forward to, as the rubber game of its three-game series against Seton Hall bounced away from them by a score of 15-1.

It was the second series loss of the season for the Cougars, dropping them to 25-11, but it did not impact their Conference USA rankings since the game against Seton Hall was a non-conference contest.

Freshman starter Jake Lemoine had an off day.

He allowed six runs, only two earned, before being pulled after three innings in what was only his second loss of the season. Seton Hall scored at least one run in six different innings.

Neither he nor the next five UH pitchers had much offense to work with, as the Cougars put up six hits and only one run. Junior catcher Caleb Barker knocked in freshman outfielder Kyle Survance with a double down the line for the Cougars’ lone run.

Seton Hall senior pitcher Greg Terhune allowed only four hits and one run through his 5.1 innings of work while striking out two. He was bolstered by an offense that scored three runs in the fourth inning and seven in the sixth inning, which gave Seton Hall a 13-0 lead.

“We knew coming in that this was going to be a solid ball club,” Terhune said. “We knew it was going to be a battle, and it just feels great. We had a great team effort all weekend long.”

Seton Hall junior outfielder Zack Granite went four for six with three RBIs for the day, proving a potent force in the Pirates’ high-speed offense.

“We showed flashes of it throughout the season,” said Seton Hall head coach Rob Sheppard after Sunday’s game. “It was good to see us swing the bats well this weekend.”

Along with Terhune, three other Seton Hall pitchers combined to baffle the Cougar bats.

“Early on, I felt like I was throwing pretty good stuff,” Terhune said. “I didn’t have as good of stuff as I wanted, but it’s nice to go out there and get picked up by your teammates and get a win.”

Still out of C-USA play, the Cougars take on Texas Southern University at 6:30 p.m Tuesday at Cougar Field.