Monday, October 18, 2021

Green Guide

Water bottle stations benefit students

UH’s going green efforts are especially effective when they benefit students, as well as the environment.

Filtered water bottle filling stations have began popping up and have already proven to have a great impact on campus.

“We wanted to have a positive effect on the amount of trash going to our landfill,” said Michael Burriello, assistant director of Facilities, Utilities and Technical Services. “After seeing the success at other institutions, we decided to take a chance and see what effect we could achieve.”

The pilot stations are located on the first floor of the Cullen Engineering building and the Science and Research 1 building.

After just two weeks the filling stations have filled about 2,174 bottles. These additions to UH’s green efforts help promote water sustainability and reduce plastic waste from landfills and the campus.

Facilities Management plans to expand the program by installing about 40 more stations.

Biology post-baccalaureate Jianyi Hou said she uses the filling station every time she has class in the Science and Research building and can’t wait for there to be more.

“It tastes much better than a regular fountain and is so easy,” Hou said.

Burriello said he wants a chance for the campus to get involved.

“This is a great opportunity to have a positive impact on our community’s landfills,” he said. “In addition, we are reaching out to all students, faculty and staff to help us name the filling stations.”

Tags: ,

• COVID-19