Golf

Cougars appoint 1st women’s golf head coach

Chadwell

Chadwell

On June 1, UH will have a leader for its women’s golf program, the University announced Monday.

Gerrod Chadwell, currently the assistant coach for the women’s golf team at Oklahoma, will be the first UH women’s golf head coach.

UH Athletics Director Mack Rhoades said he wanted to bring in someone who had the experience to build a quality program. Rhoades said Chadwell rose to the top of his mind during the selection process.

“When we began the search process, we focused on selecting an individual who is highly regarded in the industry, an exceptional fit with our core values and operating principles, created a dynamic vision for building a nationally competitive program and has experienced great success as a coach, recruiter and mentor of student-athletes,” Rhoades said in a statement.

Jonathan Dismuke, director of golf, said he is glad to have Chadwell because of the trail of success that has followed him and his ability to push his athletes to make them a great group.

“Everywhere he has coached, his student-athletes have developed and matured as competitors and as young women, and that translates into overwhelming team success at the highest level,” Dismuke said.

During his time at Oklahoma, he was a part of teams that advanced to three consecutive NCAA Regionals from 2011-2013. In 2012, he mentored Oklahoma’s first NCAA national champion in Chirapat Jao-Javanil, who won the title by four strokes with a 6-under-par effort.

At UH, Chadwell will work with incoming freshmen Emily Gilbreth and Kelli Rollo during the 2013-2014 season before the program competes with full team membership in 2014-2015.

“When you look at the history of the men’s program, it also can be done on the women’s side, and I am looking forward to getting started,” Chadwell said.